Silvina Sorribas
Silvina Sorribas
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 23, 2005

Dear listmates,

Have you ever faced a similar frustrating experience with checks from abroad? They once told me that check was mailed on March 23rd to Argentina but I never received it. So, today when I inquired them again about this issue, this is what my customer said when inquiring about an Invoice payment:

"I just called the bank to stop payment on the check written for invoice 3, and the bank said that the check cleared on April 21. Please check your records to ma
... See more
Dear listmates,

Have you ever faced a similar frustrating experience with checks from abroad? They once told me that check was mailed on March 23rd to Argentina but I never received it. So, today when I inquired them again about this issue, this is what my customer said when inquiring about an Invoice payment:

"I just called the bank to stop payment on the check written for invoice 3, and the bank said that the check cleared on April 21. Please check your records to make sure that you didn't already receive this payment"

Any suggestion/advice what I should do, please? I am getting upset....
I swear that I never received such check nor I cashed it! Please any advice from someone who has experienced a similar situation would be highly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance.

Silvina
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:04
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Silvina May 23, 2005

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately I remember that Robert Ingledew said in the Spanish forum that the same story had happened to him. The check had been stolen in Argentina.
You can contact him for more details, but I think that your client cannot be held responsible for anything, anyway.
Make sure how the check was sent and see if there's anything to do with the mail company.

Good luck

Claudia

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same thing happened to me once May 23, 2005

A long time ago, I was given a cheque by a student's father to pay for the English classes I had given. I then lost the cheque and asked the student to ask the father to cancel the cheque. They told me the same thing - that the cheque had been cashed and so never received the payment. A couple of months later, having finished the classes, I found the cheque so went straight down and managed to cash it. Not saying that this is what happened in your case but still.
There must be some way o
... See more
A long time ago, I was given a cheque by a student's father to pay for the English classes I had given. I then lost the cheque and asked the student to ask the father to cancel the cheque. They told me the same thing - that the cheque had been cashed and so never received the payment. A couple of months later, having finished the classes, I found the cheque so went straight down and managed to cash it. Not saying that this is what happened in your case but still.
There must be some way of knowing (if the cheque has cleared) which bank account it has been paid into. If it is not yours, then surely the money can be got back. Good luck. Sarah.
Collapse

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unfortunately, there's nothing to be done May 23, 2005

Dear Silvina,

In my earliest days of outsourcing, I sent a sizeable, certified bank check via air-mail to a translator in Argentina. Months later, she had never received it. When I went to the issuing bank, to our dismay the check had cleared just weeks after I sent it, with a forged signature.

In this case, the bank informed me that I was under no legal responsibility to reimburse the prospective endorsee of the check. Since I felt it only honourable to not make
... See more
Dear Silvina,

In my earliest days of outsourcing, I sent a sizeable, certified bank check via air-mail to a translator in Argentina. Months later, she had never received it. When I went to the issuing bank, to our dismay the check had cleared just weeks after I sent it, with a forged signature.

In this case, the bank informed me that I was under no legal responsibility to reimburse the prospective endorsee of the check. Since I felt it only honourable to not make the unfortunate translator suffer all the loss, I made good on the check, but, I repeat, not because there was any law binding me to do this.

Since then, all checks I send to Argentina go via FedEx, even if it costs $70+ to send them from the US. I usually split the mailing costs with the translator. It's worth the peace of mind for both of us.

In the future, I would advise either 1)opening an account in Florida, US, where outsourcers can wire you funds directly, or 2) ensure that funds are sent via courier or an agency such as Moneybookers which accepts transfers from the US in Argentina.

Best of luck,

Bill
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:04
German to English
+ ...
Copy of cancelled check? May 24, 2005

I have never used checks in international business so please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't checks get returned to the writer once they've been cashed/deposited/cancelled? I would request a copy of the cancelled check, front and back. If the company is fraudulent it is possible that they could fake the signature and bank cancellation, but this would take some effort. It just sounds suspicious to me. Have you worked with this company before? Do you trust them? Have you had problems before? Do... See more
I have never used checks in international business so please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't checks get returned to the writer once they've been cashed/deposited/cancelled? I would request a copy of the cancelled check, front and back. If the company is fraudulent it is possible that they could fake the signature and bank cancellation, but this would take some effort. It just sounds suspicious to me. Have you worked with this company before? Do you trust them? Have you had problems before? Do they have a good Blue Board rating?Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not in the US May 24, 2005

Michele Johnson wrote:

I have never used checks in international business so please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't checks get returned to the writer once they've been cashed/deposited/cancelled? I would request a copy of the cancelled check, front and back. If the company is fraudulent it is possible that they could fake the signature and bank cancellation, but this would take some effort. It just sounds suspicious to me. Have you worked with this company before? Do you trust them? Have you had problems before? Do they have a good Blue Board rating?

Most if not all US banks have stopped sending back checks. The government also now allows copies for proof for tax purposes, and you can get a set of reduced size copies with your statement. Another way for banks to reduce cost to them, which they never pass on to you, the customer, thank you.

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
PayPal May 25, 2005

The same story happened to me last month. A woman who claimed she had a translation agency (she had a website of course as a proof!) in Miami didn’t send the payment on time. I googled her name. She was an ‘artist’ of all kinds, having acting and modeling profiles on Internet. After I didn’t receive any reply to my mails sent to her so-called translation agency, I started sending mails to her personal e-mail account in her acting/ modeling profiles! I had to be a little harsh then. At la... See more
The same story happened to me last month. A woman who claimed she had a translation agency (she had a website of course as a proof!) in Miami didn’t send the payment on time. I googled her name. She was an ‘artist’ of all kinds, having acting and modeling profiles on Internet. After I didn’t receive any reply to my mails sent to her so-called translation agency, I started sending mails to her personal e-mail account in her acting/ modeling profiles! I had to be a little harsh then. At last she replied asking me why I was rude and her this and that department employees were all surprised of this harsh e-mail they’d received.

I asked her to stop pretending and send the payment. She wrote back the check had been sent to my address! I challenged her to find my address anywhere online or in my e-mails to her. I also copied my first e-mail to her making it clear I ONLY accepted payments through PayPal. She sent the payment eventually, but made me way more suspicious about any ‘agency’. The moral of the story:

1- Don’t put your address anywhere online and don’t give it to any client. They can’t claim they have sent a check if they don’t even have your address!

2- Accept the payments ONLY through PayPal. There won’t be any delay and excuses of money being stuck in the mail then. It’s better to lose some PayPal service fee but not the whole payment! Anyone having a credit card can send money through PayPal. Don't accept their excuses.

http://www.paypal.com/

[Edited at 2005-05-25 06:08]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serious problem with check

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »