Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:52
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 24, 2005

Dear all

I am working on this large project and have delivered 50% of the files, these are paid for as stated on the PO (50% of the files delivered, 50% paid, delivery of all the files, rest of the total amount will be paid immediately).
So far no problem.
However, this morning I received this e-mail:

I am referring now to the financial terms of our PO no. XXX 2005 for the XXX-project.
After analysing with my partner our cash-flow for the following 3 months we noticed that we will not be able to pay to you the final payment of 3.547,91 USD right after you delivering the last batch of translated files.
We kindly ask to understand our situation and accept the last payment on week 34, after we will cash in our payment from the customer.

I am shocked... really!
I send them an e-mail that I will not accept this and will not deliver the rest of the files until payment is sorted out.
However, I realise this could be a problem, since I do not deliver the files, they will not be paid. But if I do deliver the files, I sense I could not be paid at all...

What to do in this case?

Thank you for your support.

[Edited at 2005-05-24 06:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
You have the PO. May 24, 2005

Channa Montijn wrote: will not deliver the rest of the files until payment is sorted out.

Don't do that, go on translating.
I know whom are you speaking about. I got the same message yesterday, told them to re-read the PO.
Stay well
Alex

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Alex May 24, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

Channa Montijn wrote: will not deliver the rest of the files until payment is sorted out.

Don't do that, go on translating.
I know whom are you speaking about. I got the same message yesterday, told them to re-read the PO.
Stay well
Alex

What was in the PO that makes you want to trust them?

syl

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:52
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Propose a new payment schedule May 24, 2005

The Agency told you:
We kindly ask to understand our situation and accept the last payment on week 34, after we will cash in our payment from the customer.

You wrote:
I send them an e-mail that I will not accept this and will not deliver the rest of the files until payment is sorted out.

Although I am not on the Agency side in this case, I would acknowledge that at least they have been "honest" to you by telling you the truth in advance, something that not all Clients do by these days. If I were you I would therefore give them a chance, but would also propose a new payment schedule, let's say an immediate "anticipation" on what they will soon own you against the delivery of another translated file and possibly some interest on the payment's balance. Doing so you would test their good faith and take up a risk. If they are indeed in good faith, this incident will be blown away naturally and your business relationship will gain further strength. If not...

Good luck

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
a compromise May 24, 2005

Wow! That's a helluva a lot of money. And you're supposed to trust them?
I'd suggest a compromise: you'll deliver all the files for 50% of the outstanding amount immediately and the OTHER 50% at Week 34.
You have a PO and have upheld your end. You can certainly be understanding about their cash flow, but I wouldn't be foolish about it either!
Catherine

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why should I be understanding in this case? May 24, 2005

I find it really unprofessional to send out large jobs like this without being sure you can pay the translators for their work in time and as agreed...
Since the trust is gone (Are their problems solved in week 34?... how can I be sure)... I suggested they will pay me the rest of the amount before I am sending them the rest of the translated files...
We can however agree upon the date they will pay and when I'll send the files. Should they need a month to sort out these problems, I will send them the files in a month.

Perhaps this is a bit harsh, but I have had it with non-paying clients and unprofessional behaviour...

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
Everybody talks May 24, 2005

sylvie malich wrote: What was in the PO that makes you want to trust them? syl

They have 5 rating at the Blue Board and quite decently rated on other PP lists.
What they are doing is the equivalent of myself contacting the end client with an offer to deliver the translation at a lower rate - that is bad business practices.
As for my confidence - I have spent years in business chasing payments and deliveries to Beslhina from all over the world, believe me, the ways Prozians act are child's play compared to what I know about getting a company into a lot of trouble.
Hopefully I will avoid that, but as a Russian song goes "We are peaceful people but our armoured train is standing by on the side track..."
Stay well
Alex

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
understanding May 24, 2005

Channa,
I should have explained better: you can certainly decide to be understanding IF YOU WANT to.
But I do think these folks are taking advantage of you. There is no guarantee you'll get the money even at week 34.
If you should opt for a compromise payment, then I would demand that they reissue the PO so that at least you have some paperwork to back you up.
Catherine

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Are you sure? May 24, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

What they are doing is the equivalent of myself contacting the end client with an offer to deliver the translation at a lower rate - that is bad business practices.

As for my confidence - I have spent years in business chasing payments and deliveries to Beslhina from all over the world, believe me, the ways Prozians act are child's play compared to what I know about getting a company into a lot of trouble.

So I still don't understand why you trust them, as you have just stated doubt yourself.

With you volunteering your percentage of the payment until week 34, Channa, a professional business woman demanding the respect she deserves, has a better chance of being paid.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I would be cautious as well May 24, 2005

Hello there,
From my own experience, a customer told me some years ago that they had cashflow problems and asked me to wait a bit for a due payment. I trusted them (we had a more-than-1-year long relationship and they accounted for more than half my turnover) so I waited a bit.
Next thing I heard from them, they were bankrupt... and I lost 3700 euros in the deal, let alone the actual business that I had to rebuild. I was only wise enough not to take any more assignments from them in the meantime...
But now I am somewhat more suspicious about cashflow excuses!
Good luck,
Philippe

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 10:52
English to German
+ ...
Just wait May 24, 2005

They paid the first amount and your colleague said their rating on blue board is pretty good.

I would wait.

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
My summary May 24, 2005

sylvie malich wrote: With you volunteering your percentage of the payment until week 34, Channa, a professional business woman demanding the respect she deserves, has a better chance of being paid.

Dear Sylvie, thanks for reminding me that I should make myself a bit clearer.
- I know the guys I work on the same project and their general reputation is good;
- I also received such a proposal which I declined because there have been more than enough concessions from me, therefore I could wait if they had offered me interest which they can offer to someone else and get the money to pay me;
- I will continue to work because I have my obligations before them and will require that they meet their obligations too, despite the fact that I'm in a worse situation than Channa just because I live in Belarus, that Zimbabwe of Europe;
- If you want me to pay every time I make a forum posting, I'd rather stop posting;
- My impression of this agency is that they made a try (I have reports from other folks on the project) and forgot about it. I don't like it, especially the way it has been done, but nobody's perfect.
Cheers,
Alex

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Just a thought May 24, 2005

It would have made a lot of difference had the agency phoned and begun by explaining that they had a problem and apologizing for it, rather than by sending this e-mail.

Marc

Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cashflow comments May 24, 2005

I think they tell you the truth, they speak honestly, they are not trying to rip you off...
I would trust them...
That's what I would do if I were you...
Good luck
Bernadette

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
That's what I was saying, but... May 24, 2005

Bernadette Mora wrote: I think they tell you the truth, they speak honestly, they are not trying to rip you off... I would trust them...

Before the start of the project their PM dropped me an e-mail on a Friday night saying that I should make a 1500+ terms glossary by Monday for free (this was debated too and Channa got the same e-mail). He also said he would not be available until Monday.
They used a machine-translated TM for coundting fuzzy discounts.
These issues have been sorted out but they did try them.
They offer no terminology support, luckily it's my specialty field.
Is the above discouraging enough for me to accept their statement (not a polite request I whould have thought of meeting)?
BTW this is yet another manifestation of the fact that BB is obsolete: a mere fact of not swindling gets you 5-star rating. Great.
Happy translating
Alex
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cashflow problems client

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs