Mobile menu

Do you undertake Hindi Unicode jobs at a premium?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:52
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 26, 2005

As you may be well aware, Hindi Unicode is relatively a new phenomenon and only a few people know how to type out Hindi Unicode characters. Moreover, it is time-consuming in comparison with the normal Hindi typing.

In view of these complications, whether you charge extra for Hindi unicode jobs? If so, what percentage of the normal charges should be added for such assignments?

Direct link Reply with quote

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:52
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Just the opposite, the unicode standard makes life much easier for the Hindi translator May 28, 2005

No, the unicode standard does notaffect the way I work at all. In fact it makes life much easier for me. Particulary if the translation is for use in a web page, unicode has ubeatable advantages, no issues about font-downloading for example.

As far as typing is concerned, unicode fonts follow the Government of India supported INSCRIPT keyboard (the one developed by CDAC-India, Pune). This keyboard layout has already been around for quite some time. You might remember the old DOS-based word-processor called ALP of CDAC. This was quite popular in the 90s. Later CDAC came out with ISM (Indian Script Manager)and the LEAP Office Suite and a host of fonts in Devnagari and other Indian languages (DV-TTSurekh, DV-TTYogesh, etc.). All these fonts are typed in the same way as unicode fonts are typed.

The inscript keyboard is quite scientific, with the matras and their letters fitting on the left half of the qwerty keyboard, and the consonants on the right half. With this layout, I can type faster in Hindi than even in English, for less number of keys are involved.

Major software developers like Microsoft are switching over to unicode and unicode is the thing of the future.

As far as legacy fonts are concerned. They will be around for a couple of years due to sheer momementum. Many of the better fonts have already been converted to confirm to the unicode standard (DV-TTSurekh and DV-TTYogesh are examples, which are now available in their unicode avatars also).

Moreover, as I have mentioned in my earlier posts, converters are availbale which can convert legacy font texts into unicode and vice versa. So you can continue to work in unicode and convert the finished work into the font desired by the client.

Of course I would also try to educate the client to the advantages of using a unicode-based font and try to win him over to the use of a unicode font.

So in answer to your question, it is the other way round. I would charge a premium if I were asked to work in a legacy font, where I would have to go into endless trouble in figuring out the key board layout for the font as each of these fonts have a different keyboard layout and a person who can type in Shusha font cannot type in KritiDev010, although both these are Hindi fonts.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you undertake Hindi Unicode jobs at a premium?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs