Local time: 07:24
English to French
+ ...
May 26, 2005

Hello,

I have been asked by a client to do the following:
"It's not a translation job, but please include this job in your invoice
according to your trouble.
I would like you to examine a program on your PC setting.
It's not a harmful one, just to work for autorun on CD.

If you would take troubles to burn CD-Rs, I would like you to burn the unzipped
attached files on CD-Rs respectively."

So basically they want me to check the programm and see if it works on my PC. How should I charge them for that?
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.
Elodie

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 08:24
German to English
Charge your hourly rate May 26, 2005

Work of this type is generally charged by the hour. If it takes less than hour, charge for a full hour.

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
Italian to English
+ ...
Pricing for checking a program on my PC May 26, 2005

Hi,
Is this a regular client?
Do you know the client?

If not, I would be very wary of doing anything like that.

If yes, I wouldn't be too keen but I'd make sure my charge covered any CDs used, etc. Probably an hourly rate - it depends entirely on what the program is and exactly what they want you to do with it. It may be extensive.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom!

[Edited at 2005-05-26 16:05]

Elodie Rousseau
Mexico
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a regular client May 26, 2005

Sorry, I didn't give more explanations.
It is a regular client. I have actually translated the programme they asked me to check.
I just checked it as they said. I had to burn 2 CDs and it took me less than 15 minutes to see the programme was running perfectly. I'm thinking to charge them for the CDs I had to burn, but then what more should I charge? I'm not sure.

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
Italian to English
+ ...
OK May 26, 2005

OK. I would still maybe go for cost of CDs + minimum charge or portion of hourly rate, but if this was a good client/I had just done a large project for them I would probably just invoice the cost of the CDs or not charge them at all. I'm not saying we should all start giving freebies - not at all - it depends entirely on yourself and your client.

Have a good weekend (when it comes),
Amy

[Edited at 2005-05-26 17:02]

Elodie Rousseau
Mexico
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. May 26, 2005

Thank you Amy. I'll follow your advices and will think if I charge them or not.
Have a nice week-end too.
Elodie

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Elodie, May 27, 2005

I normally consider this type of checking part of my quality control process and do not charge for it. In this I also accomodate reasonable additions and changes from the client. It forms part of the service I offer to my clients. Well, the caveat being that the time spent on this part is not unreasonable for the job done - editing my work is of course my responsibility. What I consider reasonable I usually tie to the time/amount of words spent on the actual job (translation).

I also do not charge to do a final check of a website I have translated for a client (before it goes live) to see how it actually looks. I then check the website critically. This again is part of my quality control process.

Same with brochures for products I have translated. The book that I translated not too long ago was also sent to me for one final look. Along the way, I also worked with the author to pre-check each chapter before it went to the publisher (the author had some small additions or changes that needed to be included).

However, I would charge for the cost of the CDs and burning them especially if you have to outsource that.

I hope that this helps. All in all, though, you have to do whatever you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Chao,

Lucinda

Elodie Rousseau
Mexico
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 27, 2005

Thanks for your comments. I decided to charge them a small "package price" that include the CDs fees and the small amount of time I spent on it. The client found it quite reasonable.
Thanks again.
Bye

Elodie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing for checking a programme on my PC

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs