Mobile menu

Rates for technical translations
Thread poster: xxxNathalieVVT
xxxNathalieVVT  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
French to English
+ ...
May 28, 2005

I have only recently started to take on technical translations in computer-related texts and I am not sure how much mmore I should charge compared to non-technical translations. I am based in the UK.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I don't charge more May 29, 2005

If you are familiar with the subject technical stuff is rather easy and fast. What is general text? Loveletters? Birthday cards?
Literature of course is badly paid I hear, in relation to novels and poems technical stuff seems to win out, but even for patents they do not pay better than for user manuals.
Regards
Heinrich

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non-technical text May 29, 2005

By non-technical text, I meant text that doesn't contain specialized terms such as Tourism for example and certain business-related documents.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
According to the time I will probably need May 29, 2005

My base rate is meant for contiguous texts of average difficulty.

I determine the rate for an individual text by thoroughly reading some pages and superficially viewing the rest.

When I won't get an opportunity to view the whole text before I have to submit a binding quotation, I apply a safety factor (maybe up to 8) according to the given information. (Sometimes I encounter clients who are not aware of the difference between a contiguous text and a list of technical terms.)

[Edited at 2005-05-29 10:48]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Still May 30, 2005

I haven't yet encountered a job of some length that didn't content special terminology. Even text for food packages have to be checked out carefully, i.e. by going to the shop and looking for references. So I'm still waiting for a "general text" to come my way.
Pricing depends on the customer, not so much on the text. You will often encounter jobs that seems to be easy but take a lot of time. Then you have to go along, even if you promised it cheap.

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I would say Jun 3, 2005

Charge a bit more for the technical texts when you have worked with the terminology for a while.
I charge between 0.02 and 0.04 USD more for highly technical texts.
But as you get used to the terminology the translations will be easier and you can charge less if you wish.

However, just as an advice, always add your own notes in a separate file if you're not sure which word is correct.
Do a google search on the different words, and explain why you choose that one.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jun 5, 2005

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. It has been very useful for me and I intendto apply all the advice you have given me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for technical translations

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs