Mobile menu

Price offers are getting lower; no plans to help?
Thread poster: Rayindra

Rayindra  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jun 3, 2005

Hi all,

In my area, and I believe in many other language pairs as well, the price offers are getting lower and lower.

Any plans to help this situation?
How about your previous plan to limit job offers to paying members?

Direct link Reply with quote

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
French to English
Marketing Jun 3, 2005

Let me start with the disclaimer that I translate different language pairs than you and may also have expertise in different fields than you do, so our experience may also be different.

I see both low rates and more reasonable ones. On the whole this doesn't bother me.

I seem to be fairly succesful at marketing myself to a market segment that doesn't generally post on ProZ and which pays what I consider to be acceptable rates. Of course I'm still trying to move up to better paying clients!

May I politely suggest that you consider how to differentiate yourself and how to market yourself to those clients who do pay the rates that you want to get.

Good luck,

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a thought Jun 3, 2005

I think if the offers are there (or here, posted) and the translators keep saying "no", declare rates in thier profiles (I am not saying make thme visible), and alert newbies not to accept insulting rates, a lot can be done.

The ENES pair is a real jungle, competition is fierce. A couple weeks ago, there was an "insulting" (to many of us) offer from an agency in Agentina. Even for local rates, it was a loooow offer. They got less than 3 responses through the bid in 27 hours. Why? We have been fighting for decent rates, if you speak Spanish go our forum. The word has spread here in and many other ARG lists.

If I post a job and offer 0,02USD per word, and get no responses: I get a clear message. If I go to members profiles and send a private message with the offer and get responses telling me go away; I get the message. If I need a translator for said low price and find none, I wil have to increase the price (=makes less profit, pay the translator what s/he is worth, educate my client that quality must me paid for -allowing me to pay good rates to potential translators working for me, making fair and decent profit and paying the translator a fair rate.) If we are able to force this cycle into low-paying outsourcers, we will win the battle at the end.

When I see said offers in my pairs, I send a letter refusing the offer and explain to the outsourcer why I refused.

[Edited at 2005-06-03 02:48]

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The problem is.. Jun 3, 2005

Some translators (especially those with less experience) accept low rate jobs because "it's better than no rate".
I'm personally offended by these low rates, particularly those below 0.05 USD.
But we do have translators working at these rates by their own choice. And we can't really tell them not to.

However, it's my opinion that you get what you pay for, and I have seen so many bad translations from underpaid translators.
And quite frankly, I can't blame them.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:21
We don't see a downward trend overall Jun 3, 2005

That rates paid are going down is a frequent complaint. However, if we look at aggregate rates quoted, or shown in profiles, these do not shown a downward trend. Certainly in Indonesian to English, for example, rates quoted are not low. (Rates requested by outsourcers may be a different matter, and is of less relevance, in my opinion.)

Set your rates at the level you require to achieve your desired standard of living (and take holidays, too). As you retain desirable clients over time, you will become more selective, and your personal rates will rise over time.

If, attaching importance to ridiculous rates offered by opportunistic job posters, you set your own rates low, you will not gain the attention of any but the lowest-paying clients. Some members have reported to me that they began to meet clients only when they raised their rates. Please give it a try!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price offers are getting lower; no plans to help?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs