Mobile menu

Future translator(?) considering options
Thread poster: lkpike
lkpike
English
Jun 9, 2005

Hi all,

I've been thinking about what career I'd most like, one option being languages. Right now I'm studying German; obviously I already speak English, and have hopes to learn a 3rd language sometime down the road. ((This has all been "Hobby" so far.))

I'd like to know whats involved in this? How hard is the work, usually? How much does it pay? [in America, and in Germany?]

Thanks in advance =),

-Leigh

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-10 04:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:23
German to English
+ ...
Starting out (a.k.a. "Getting established") Jun 10, 2005

lkpike wrote:

Hi all,

I've been thinking about what career I'd most like, one option being languages. Right now I'm studying German; obviously I already speak English, and have hopes to learn a 3rd language sometime down the road. ((This has all been "Hobby" so far.))

I'd like to know whats involved in this? How hard is the work, usually? How much does it pay? [in America, and in Germany?]

Thanks in advance =),

-Leigh

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-10 04:36]

Hi Leigh,

Welcome to ProZ - I hope that your experience here will be as positive as mine has been.

For starters I would suggest searching the forums and reading what has already been said on this topic - enter "beginner" (without quotation marks), select the forum section "Getting established" in the forum search form and you should be able to find a ton of information and good suggestions (cf. http://www.proz.com/forumsearch ).

Good luck!

-Derek

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Future translator(?) considering options

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs