Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:47
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 13, 2002

So what is the problem, really?

Some agencies are looking for translators who work for very low rates.

Why not add a field in the job description

that says \"max rate\" which MUST be filled in by the agency.

THEN in your translator profile you add a field \"minimum rate\" which must be filled in by the translator.

When a new job is posted it compares the two and sends the job offers ONLY to the people
... See more
So what is the problem, really?

Some agencies are looking for translators who work for very low rates.

Why not add a field in the job description

that says \"max rate\" which MUST be filled in by the agency.

THEN in your translator profile you add a field \"minimum rate\" which must be filled in by the translator.

When a new job is posted it compares the two and sends the job offers ONLY to the people willing to work for that rate.

People that do not want to work at low rates DON\'T get these offers

People who can live on these rates DO get them

Agencies that offer quality at a good price can directly get the people they need

EVERYBODY IS HAPPY!

(maybe it\'s too simple?)

Collapse

Joy Christensen
Joy Christensen  Identity Verified
English
+ ...
translators post minimum rate, agencies post maximum rate Jul 27, 2002

That sounds reasonable. I\'ve been reluctant to post any rates for myself, because I wanted to see the whole scene. How you describe this though is convincing.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:47
SITE FOUNDER
that is basically how it works Jul 27, 2002

That is basically how it works. Just set the rates in your profile page.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The pricing for this job is out of your set range Aug 2, 2002

I have just got this message when wanting to bid for a job.

The pricing for this job is out of your set range for English > French (must be between 0.09 and 0.21 USD)

Because you have not yet entered rates for this language pair (English > French), the community\'s average rates for this pair were used. If you would like to set your own range, click here to enter your rates.

If I understand every thing, the community\'s average rates
... See more
I have just got this message when wanting to bid for a job.

The pricing for this job is out of your set range for English > French (must be between 0.09 and 0.21 USD)

Because you have not yet entered rates for this language pair (English > French), the community\'s average rates for this pair were used. If you would like to set your own range, click here to enter your rates.

If I understand every thing, the community\'s average rates for this pair are between 0,09 and 0,21 USD. That\'s very good.

But because I haven\'t entered my rates I can\'t bid for this job at 0,08 US$.

I would be able to if I enter my rates, but I will be compelled to stick to them for 6 months...

I have the feeling of loosing flexibility.

I may enter a minimum price, but if there is an offer not interesting at all for its price but very interesting for its content I\'d appreciate to have the freedom of accepting it. How could I do so if I can\'t bid ?

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
We can't have our cake and eat it Aug 2, 2002

Hi Claudia,

Your interpretation of this scenario is correct (check FAQ 7.10). The main motivation for this system were incessant complaints (on and off site) that ProZ was essentially a place where agencies could force translators to accept the cheapest prices in the industry. The solution isn\'t to impose an arbitrary minimum rate, but to give translators the freedom to accept work at one cent if they chose to do so - at the same time, those willing and/or able to work at rock-bottom
... See more
Hi Claudia,

Your interpretation of this scenario is correct (check FAQ 7.10). The main motivation for this system were incessant complaints (on and off site) that ProZ was essentially a place where agencies could force translators to accept the cheapest prices in the industry. The solution isn\'t to impose an arbitrary minimum rate, but to give translators the freedom to accept work at one cent if they chose to do so - at the same time, those willing and/or able to work at rock-bottom rates lose the benefit of getting those jobs at 20 cents. It\'s a decision you need to make where to pitch your business focus - and if you don\'t enter rates, the community will, in essence, do that for you.

Yes, you\'re losing flexibility to a certain extent. However, the price the community paid for that flexibility were price levels which were detrimental for everyone concerned.

(Note that I watch this process as a neutral \"outsider\" since I do not source jobs through ProZ.)
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Outsourcers should be compelled to give a rate too Aug 3, 2002

Hi Ralph

Thanks for your answer.

I understand that it\'s done to improve the level of rates that were falling down faster and faster.

I have to think a lot before introducing my rates, because I wouldn\'t like to reduce those of my communities nor loosing jobs.

And I\'ve been looking how the system works at this moment and I tried to know what are the average rates of my communities. While doing that I noticed that there is something that doesn\
... See more
Hi Ralph

Thanks for your answer.

I understand that it\'s done to improve the level of rates that were falling down faster and faster.

I have to think a lot before introducing my rates, because I wouldn\'t like to reduce those of my communities nor loosing jobs.

And I\'ve been looking how the system works at this moment and I tried to know what are the average rates of my communities. While doing that I noticed that there is something that doesn\'t fit with this purpose:

When ourtsourcers ask translators to give their rate. This kind of offer is like those who attract rates to land. (I\'m really sorry for my English, I hope you understand)

So the system would really work as you want if outsourcers were compelled to give a rate. If they don\'t it\'s still working as before.

I will introduce my rates, I just want to think about all the consequences before.

Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I forgot a question Aug 3, 2002

I am in a team and I\'m thinking about joining another one. Can the rates of these teams be different between them and from my individual rates ?

How does this work ?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the type of job Aug 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-03 13:59, c.iglesias wrote:

That\'s exactly the rationale of the min/max system.

Quote:... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-03 13:59, c.iglesias wrote:

That\'s exactly the rationale of the min/max system.

Quote:
So the system would really work as you want if outsourcers were compelled to give a rate. If they don\'t it\'s still working as before.

True, but there will always be jobs where you can\'t really specify a quoted price. Most of the complaints I\'ve seen refer to outsourcers specifying prices which are perceived to be too low.

Of course, an offer inviting bids without specifying a level could prompt some members to submit bids at excessively low rates. The rates system addresses this: you can of course enter a minimum rate that allows you to bid at, say, USD 0.02, but this will block you from more profitable jobs. As long as you haven\'t entered a range, the rates at which you can bid will be driven by the community average. I guess that\'s fair.

Quote:
I will introduce my rates, I just want to think about all the consequences before.

Very wise. Note that I have entered rates despite the fact I don\'t bid on the site.

As far as your additional question is concerned, I don\'t know the answer. Henry?

[/quote] ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Even in a team you are bound by your individual rates Aug 3, 2002

You can make a practice of quoting one rate for yourself, and one rate for your team. But both have to fall within your individual range.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A solution to rates offered on ProZ.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »