Mobile menu

Request for payment before the agreed term (earlier than after 30 days).
Thread poster: Olga-Translator
Olga-Translator  Identity Verified

English to Russian
Jun 10, 2005

Hi everybody!

I'm in doubt. I have a regular cient that I work with for several months. This is an agency. I would like to ask the director of the agency to pay me the money that I earned in May a bit earlier, not in the middle of July, but in June (at the end if the month at the latest). Payment terms are 30 days but transfers reach me usually in 45 days. So I would like to receive the money just a little earlier.
Could you, please, give me an advice? Would this request be polite and appropriate? How would the agency react to such a plead?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:58
English to German
+ ...
"Pleading" vs. asking for fulfilment of contractual obligations Jun 10, 2005

Hi Olga,
How would the agency react to such a plead?

You're not pleading (at least I hope you won't) - all you're doing is to ask the agency to fulfil its contractual obligations.

Best regards,
Ralf

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
30 days are 30 days (not 45) Jun 10, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Olga,
How would the agency react to such a plead?

You're not pleading (at least I hope you won't) - all you're doing is to ask the agency to fulfil its contractual obligations.

Best regards,
Ralf

I completely agree with Ralf. If they agreed to pay you within 30 days, they (should) have to see to it that the money is there within 30 days - not 45 (at least that's how I see it).

I wouldn't plead, but politely remind them to make sure the money is in your hands by the time agreed upon - they probably expect you to provide the finished translation on time too.

[Edited at 2005-06-10 13:29]

Burkhard Ziegler  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
Terms of payment - 2 sides of the medal Jun 10, 2005

Well, the community knows me as a very rigorous commercial

But regarding the Ukraine and other CIS-States there can occur certain problems,
  • inland money transfers can get lost
  • there is no deadline when a transfer must be credited to the beneficiaries account
  • currency regulations are controlled by a special control department and they can require a certain documentation for payments from abroad
  • the client probably doesn't know about this situation
  • there exist secure kinds of money transfer (instant payment or fixed crediting deadline) but they have high fees

Well, there are always two argumentations when a payment is considered as for executed - on sending or on crediting. I prefer the second one and submit detailed payment instructions, especially to foreign customers in order to avoid problems/delays.

Make sure that you have favourable for you payment term fixed in your contracts or start negotiating with your customer to make assure a 30-days-payment.

On the other hand, your client might have permanent cashflow problems as a reason for delays, well, then it becomes difficult.

But I agree with Ralf and Derek, remember them politely, if from abroad explaining the banking situation in UA.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-06-10 22:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for payment before the agreed term (earlier than after 30 days).

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs