How much to charge /w of content CREATED? (EN and FR)
Thread poster: Steph SB

Steph SB
Local time: 13:01
English to French
+ ...
Jun 16, 2005

Hello all,

I am in touch with a Web agency in my area who sends on some customers who are looking for help with writting their online content, or even want an entire site written for them.

I am not sure which way to charge. Hours, words or pages?
In this particular case, I need write the pages from scratch after spending a couple of hours with the customer to learn about their business.
I was going to charge them a per word rate for the actual content (.9 EUR ???) + some sort of 'research' fees
What do you think?
Thanks a lot

Direct link Reply with quote

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:01
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
I would go for hourly fee Jun 16, 2005

First, since you have not done this kind of work before, you have no understanding what would be an appropriate price - but you know what you want for an hour.

Secondly, this kind of job may involve a lot of rework, so it is hard to count the result words and get an understanding of work involved.

-jr

[Edited at 2005-06-16 14:41]

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 07:01
German to English
Charge by the hour Jun 16, 2005

It's very difficult to charge by the word for work of this type. Time spent with the client is easily documented, and research time can likewise be documented. If you're expected to provide a bilingual web site, you might offer to charge by the word (direct client prices, not what you might get from an agency!) for the second language, since much of your research will be applicable. The important thing is to get a good idea of the project (spend an hour of your own time talking to the client) before giving a reasonable estimate.

Don't sell yourself too cheaply, after all large companies pay millions to ad agencies for a 5 word slogan.

To get an idea of what you should charge, you might want to contact companies that provide web content to find out what they charge for their service.

Steph SB
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right. The hour is more likely to be accurate. Thanks a lot Jun 16, 2005

The hour is more likely to be accurate. Thanks a lot

Steph SB
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your insight Jun 16, 2005

Right : It is probably better to meet the client and discuss their project further before coming with any sort of an estimate.
And dont go too cheap - noted
Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge /w of content CREATED? (EN and FR)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs