Thread poster: Sarah Steiner
Sarah Steiner  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jun 20, 2005

Hi everybody,

I would need your help again:
I usually work with a word rate, but a new client wants me to apply a line rate (with 55 characters per standard line).

(language pair ES>DE)

HOW can I calculate a line rate based on my word rate?

Many thanks in advance,
Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
How to calculate rates/line? Jun 20, 2005

Take a few sample jobs.

Count the number of words in the text(s) (source or target, whichever you normally apply).

Count the number of characters, including spaces, in the target text(s) and divide by 55 to get the number of lines.

Divide the number of words by the number of lines to get the ratio of words to lines.

Multiply your per-word price by this ratio to get a per-line price.

Use this ratio to obtain a price for quoting, not for quantifying actual jobs! For actual jobs, calculate the number of lines by dividing the number of characters, including spaces, by 55.

Marc

[Edited at 2005-06-20 12:26]

Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your fast reply Jun 20, 2005

I proceeded as you told me, but instead of deviding the number of lines by the number of words to get the ratio of words to lines y did the other way round: devide the number of words by the number of lines. I am confused now, but I think I did the right way.

After having tested with different texts I get an average of 8,8 to 9,6 words per line, which for Spanish looks quite reasonable. Even than, I will have to decide the number of words per line then, as the total chagnes considerably.

In any case, any thanks for your help,
Greetings from Vienna,
Sarah

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:50
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Line rate calculation Jun 20, 2005

sarahst wrote:

"... I will have to decide the number of words per line then, as the total chagnes considerably."

Really, the only sensible thing to do is measure representative samples (with as much text as possible) for various customers or subjects and use the averages as your fixed prices per line for those customers or categories. You might come out a bit ahead or behind on an individual job, but on the whole, your total income will be the same.

There is an Italian translation Web site I ran into that had a "rate converter" for translation charges based on the statistics from their agency; it wasn't too far off from my own calculations as I recall. Unfortunately I can no longer find the link.

The procedure I would follow is simple:

(1) Take a representative group of documents and calculate how much you would charge at your word rate to translate those documents. The total will be €X (or whatever currency you use).

(2) Calculate the number of lines in the document collection by taking the total character count (including spaces) and dividing by 55. Line count = (total chars incl. spaces) / 55.

(3) Line rate = X / (line count)

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
How to calculate rates/line? Jun 20, 2005

sarahst wrote:

instead of deviding the number of lines by the number of words to get the ratio of words to lines y did the other way round: devide the number of words by the number of lines.

Yes, sorry.

Marc

Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tanks to both of you Jun 20, 2005

Many thanks! I will keep on calculating a little bit with more projects and then fix my rate/line.

Have a nice day ahead,
Sarah

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Fee Wizard Jun 20, 2005

I like to use "Fee Wizard" - available online and as an Excel download.

http://www.amtrad.it/feewizard.php

You have to enter some statistics about your language pairs, but once you have done that it works really well.

Best,

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate rates/line?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs