Thread poster: Daniela Mühling
Daniela Mühling
Daniela Mühling
Spain
Local time: 22:57
German to English
+ ...
Oct 9, 2001

First of all, I know this question is more appropriate for the forum entitled \"This Site\", but there was no discussion subject in that forum which seemed appropriate.

I am considering a membership upgrade, but after consulting the page desribing the advantages of Premium and Platinum membership it seems to me that there is very little difference between the two. Platinum members are listed before Premium members in bid lists and search results lists. Is there any more to i
... See more
First of all, I know this question is more appropriate for the forum entitled \"This Site\", but there was no discussion subject in that forum which seemed appropriate.

I am considering a membership upgrade, but after consulting the page desribing the advantages of Premium and Platinum membership it seems to me that there is very little difference between the two. Platinum members are listed before Premium members in bid lists and search results lists. Is there any more to it than that? Is one level intended for agencies and the other for freelancers?

Also, I would like to hear impressions of people who are Premium or Platinum members.

Thanks in advance,

Daniela
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
2nd best. Oct 10, 2001

With the benefit of hindsight I would like to say tat buying my fiancé a wedding ring long ago was the best-spent monies in my life, and buying a ProZ Platinum Membership was the 2nd best.

Go for it!

Sven the Geriatric.

Dito
Dito
Local time: 21:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2001

I like Swen\'s reply. I might buy a ring aswell.

How about giving some numbers to quantify the second investment (membership)? I feel that this is a cut-throat bussiness and making a living out of freelancing requires some starvation and patience - or a formal job during the day. Would it really make a difference?

On 2001-10-10 13:07, sven wrote:

With the benefit of hindsight I would like to say tat buying my fiancé a wedding ring long ag
... See more
I like Swen\'s reply. I might buy a ring aswell.

How about giving some numbers to quantify the second investment (membership)? I feel that this is a cut-throat bussiness and making a living out of freelancing requires some starvation and patience - or a formal job during the day. Would it really make a difference?

On 2001-10-10 13:07, sven wrote:

With the benefit of hindsight I would like to say tat buying my fiancé a wedding ring long ago was the best-spent monies in my life, and buying a ProZ Platinum Membership was the 2nd best.

Go for it!

Sven the Geriatric.

[/quote]
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
90% Oct 11, 2001

Dear Dito,

90% of all my jobs are generated by and/or through ProZ.

I rest my case.

Sven the Geriatric.

Daniela Mühling
Daniela Mühling
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Oct 11, 2001

But what actually is the difference between Premium and Platinum memberships? What justifies the enormous price difference?

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Premium vs. platinum? Oct 11, 2001

To return to the original question, I, too, would like to know what all the differences between premium and platinum are?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:57
SITE FOUNDER
Platinum members can form teams, get top positioning Oct 12, 2001

Seventy-five percent (75%) of paying members choose Platinum membership over Premium membership, even with the higher price tag.

The major differences at the moment are the following:

(1) Platinum members can form teams and invite other ProZ.com members to join (Platinum members may then bid on large jobs and refer the outsourcer to their team page)

(2) Positioning: Platinum members appear before Premium members in bidding and lists

T
... See more
Seventy-five percent (75%) of paying members choose Platinum membership over Premium membership, even with the higher price tag.

The major differences at the moment are the following:

(1) Platinum members can form teams and invite other ProZ.com members to join (Platinum members may then bid on large jobs and refer the outsourcer to their team page)

(2) Positioning: Platinum members appear before Premium members in bidding and lists

There are a few small differences:

(1) Premium members can \"group mail\" 25 people at once, Platinum members can mail 100

(2) Platinum members get a deeper discount on events

Both Platinum and Premium members get:

(1) Preferential placement in bidding, in lists of translators, and in other places

(2) Earliest consideration for InstantJobs

(3) Discounts

In the future, there will be more differences between paying and non-paying members; new features are now being developed primarily for paying members, and we are changing our customer service approach so that we can address more fully the needs of paying members. In addition, the enormous number of bids on some jobs (350+ in some cases!), and the limited time some people invest in bids (eg. \"I am available, contact me for details\") has prompted us to decide to charge $1 per bid for non-paying members starting next year, so that the number of bids will be lower and the content will be more serious. Paying members will continue to have unlimited bids.

In the near future, we may discontinue selling Premium memberships, and have only one class of paying membership. However, we intend to keep a lower entry price for those who have earned BrowniZ points. We have already begun a limited rollout of Platinum memberships at half price for those who have done InstantJobs and have a certain number of BrowniZ.

If you are interested in applying BrowniZ towards a Platinum membership but have not done an InstantJob, please contact me for details. [email protected]
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 02:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same with me here Oct 12, 2001

I also get lots of enquiries due to PROZ.COM.I thank Henry for that.

Telesforo

Quote:

On 2001-10-11 15:01, sven wrote:

Dear Dito,

90% of all my jobs are generated by and/or through ProZ.

I rest my case.

Sven the Geriatric.

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Browniz Points --> Platinum? Oct 12, 2001

>If you are interested in applying BrowniZ >towards a Platinum membership but have not >done an InstantJob

I have just completed an ENG>LATIN Instant Job and have 17964 Browniz... the current offer is 60$+6000 Browniz. I think Browniz points should be a bit more valued. I have passed some hour to translate the site into Catalan - was it worth the time?

Best wishes : proz.com is really fascinating.

A young student of Translation
... See more
>If you are interested in applying BrowniZ >towards a Platinum membership but have not >done an InstantJob

I have just completed an ENG>LATIN Instant Job and have 17964 Browniz... the current offer is 60$+6000 Browniz. I think Browniz points should be a bit more valued. I have passed some hour to translate the site into Catalan - was it worth the time?

Best wishes : proz.com is really fascinating.

A young student of Translation
[addsig]
Collapse

Daniel Babenco
Daniel Babenco  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to Spanish
+ ...
Just upgraded from non-paying to Platinum, but no changes so far Oct 13, 2001

I have just become a platinum member and cannot see any difference at all.

I would like to improve my position within Proz and therefore I upgraded my membership a few weeks ago, but no change so far.

I get plenty of translation jobs through other channels but have no luck with Proz. really, eventhough I am a prof. translator.

Regards,

Daniel

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
the meaning of platinum Oct 13, 2001

I looked at it the other way around. I have nearly tripled my workload thanks to Proz. I\'ve never posted a bid, but agencies have looked me up through the site and I have gained ongoing customers -- the very best way to work.

Consequently, I decided that since Proz helped me I\'d help Proz. The site is important to me: it gives me work and, best of all, it gives me information. But it takes money to keep it going. In short, I think it gives you a good return on your investment.

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:57
German to English
+ ...
Do Agencies Pay Too? Nov 5, 2001

I am curious: Do agencies pay for the advantage of choosing from an organized pool of translators? How much?

Agencies would profit the most. So they should pay, or?
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Platinum vs. Premium Membership

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »