Charging for wordcount in Quark when the job is in Word - ripoff?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:03
English to French
+ ...
Jul 4, 2005

Hello all!

I would like insight on a situation here...

A publisher gives a translator a large job. The files are in Word format, to be delivered in Word format. However, Quark files come along with the Word files, since the Quark files also have images. The purpose of using the Quark files is only to provide a reference for the translator to better understand the context (home repair). The publisher already offers to pay a pretty low rate (about half of current average
... See more
Hello all!

I would like insight on a situation here...

A publisher gives a translator a large job. The files are in Word format, to be delivered in Word format. However, Quark files come along with the Word files, since the Quark files also have images. The purpose of using the Quark files is only to provide a reference for the translator to better understand the context (home repair). The publisher already offers to pay a pretty low rate (about half of current average rates), which is not that bad considering that the whole project is around 80,000 words.

Here is the problem: the publisher, in the end, wants to base the total amount of the invoice on the Quark document, not the Word one. It is obvious that this would give them a pretty nice rebate (thousands of dollars), since wordcount in Quark leaves you with a total considerably smaller than wordcount in Word (because text boxes are skipped during wordcount).

How does one deal with this? Is the translator entitled to be paid for each word he/she translated? Is there a way to count words in Quark that includes every single word in the document?

Please, I need insight on this, since I really can't swallow this kind of situation. I feel that someone is trying to rip someone off.

Also, since there is no use in fighting, is there a way to have the publisher pay without ruining the relationship with the publisher? This is important since another project was completed for the same publisher since then, for which payment is still expected, and the translator in question does not want to lose that money.

Thanks!
Collapse

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any other programme to count? Jul 4, 2005

Hello,

I am wondering if Trados Analyse can actually count Quark files... Maybe you can process them and then base the wordcount on the analysis...

Best of luck,

Mar

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 09:03
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Jul 5, 2005

ViktoriaG wrote:
How does one deal with this? Is the translator entitled to be paid for each word he/she translated? Is there a way to count words in Quark that includes every single word in the document?

Of course a translator is paid for EVERY word he/she translates. For commodity reasons, when quoting, translators and agencies nowadays take into account the number of words in the source text, but all of them: text boxes, images, charts, figures, legends, tables, etc. If you don't quote a price by yourself and wait until the publisher gives you the number of words, of course he will try to have the translation as cheap as possible. Don't you have a written contract or purchase order BEFORE translating? I receive Word files where 100% of the words are in text boxes, and where Word counts 0 words.

Besides, I think that a volume discount of 50% is far too much, 10 or 15% is more reasonable. Publishers allways think that a big volume should be cheaper. If they want so, they should hire salaried workers, not self-employed persons.

[Edited at 2005-07-05 08:26]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
stand your ground Jul 5, 2005

You said " The files are in Word format, to be delivered in Word format".

They haven't got a leg to stand on. You ARE being ripped off....
a WORD docuemnt, which is what you have wrorked in, is a pretty standard meaurement tool in the translation world.....

Stand your ground on principle. That doesn't change your RIGHTS to be paid for the previous job.

"wordcount in Quark leaves you with a total considerably smaller than wordcount in Word (because t
... See more
You said " The files are in Word format, to be delivered in Word format".

They haven't got a leg to stand on. You ARE being ripped off....
a WORD docuemnt, which is what you have wrorked in, is a pretty standard meaurement tool in the translation world.....

Stand your ground on principle. That doesn't change your RIGHTS to be paid for the previous job.

"wordcount in Quark leaves you with a total considerably smaller than wordcount in Word (because text boxes are skipped during wordcount"

They sound really cheapskate:-(

"Is the translator entitled to be paid for each word he/she translated?"

Yes, even if it's a crude measure of the time spent translating. But it's a standard in most European language combinations....One particular word may take 30 minutes to translate, another seconds, one text may take 8 hours for 500 words, another text of 500 words could be done in 2 hours. It's the swings and the roundabout....
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
corollary: QXP count must be wrong Jul 5, 2005

Gertrude Stein would opine: a count is a count is a count. If it's the same text, it should the same word count as well.

Re playing it low not to endanger the next (not yet paid) deal: that's the stupid situation of depending on one account too much. Nothing to be done except keeping your back straight: better terminate them sooner than later, if they do not appreciate (and above do not PAY for) your work.

And in the mean time look around for alternatives.

... See more
Gertrude Stein would opine: a count is a count is a count. If it's the same text, it should the same word count as well.

Re playing it low not to endanger the next (not yet paid) deal: that's the stupid situation of depending on one account too much. Nothing to be done except keeping your back straight: better terminate them sooner than later, if they do not appreciate (and above do not PAY for) your work.

And in the mean time look around for alternatives.

wishing you all the best

smo
Collapse

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, the translator is entitled to be paid Jul 5, 2005

for every word he or she translates.

I've heard of cases where clients didn't want to pay for simple words like 'the' or 'a'. Their reasoning: you don't really have to translate those words.

To which the obvious reply is, of course: OK, I'll translate 'the' and 'a' only once and leave them out of the text afterwards.

Story might be an urban legend, but if it isn't true, it should be.

Benno

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:03
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Get Text Count... Jul 5, 2005

for Quark (yes, you have to pay for it) and do the wordcount yourself. Text Count counts everything.

Giovanni

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
wordcount in Quark Jul 5, 2005

ViktoriaG wrote:

It is obvious that this would give them a pretty nice rebate (thousands of dollars), since wordcount in Quark leaves you with a total considerably smaller than wordcount in Word (because text boxes are skipped during wordcount).

Are you sure? I often work with QuarkXPress 4.1 (for Mac) and it does count text in textboxes - as far as I know, the whole text is in textboxes. Is there a wordcount function in your version of Quark with the options Whole text box, Whole page, Whole text document etc.?

Bennorca
Bennorca
English to German
Word Count in QuarkXPress Jul 5, 2005

1. Open your document

2. Go to the UTILITIES menu

3. Choose SPELL CHECKING

4. Choose DOCUMENT

5. The word count will appear before spell checker begins.

Kind regards

BNV

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for wordcount in Quark when the job is in Word - ripoff?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »