Here\'s the trick: case study on shifting work to the checkers to save money
Thread poster: Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc
Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jun 20, 2002

Here\'s the trick - aka, how they do it.

A very clever move in project management.

Say I have 20,000 words for translation into 4 languages.

Case A)

I\'m a project manager.

I contract four professional, reliable translators who charge, say, $0.13 per source word.

Then I contract four professional, reliable editors who charge, say, $0.04 per source word to do the editing.

Finally, I contract four professional, reliable proofers who charge, say, $0.04 per source word to do the proofing.

Cost: $16,800

Case B)

I call myself a project manager.

I contract four so-called translators who charge $0.03 per source word because I say so. I don\'t care if they deliver the poorest quality on planet Earth. The only thing I care about is that they deliver really fast. A fast typist who spent 15 days on a vacation to the target country will do.

Then I contract four professional, reliable translators who are short of work - because I, and many like me, have dumped the market - and I ask them to charge, say, $0.025 per source word to do the editing.

Finally, I contract four professional, reliable translators who are short of work - because I, and many like me, have dumped the market - and I ask them to charge, say, $0.025 per source word to do the proofing.

I\'m very clever and I know that I\'ll surely find such professional, reliable translators who are short of work. I\'m also so clever that I can make up all sorts of stories when these translators start complaining about the despicable quality of the piece of rubbish they\'ll have to edit/proof.

\"This will lead to better assignments in the future\", I assure them. \"Another agency was in charge of the translation, but probably the end-customer will chose us as their language provider after they see how well you (i.e., us) perform, let\'s teach the other agency a lesson\", and so I lure them.

I can make up lots of stories.

Cost: $6,400

Now imagine it\'s 200,000 words instead of 20,000.

Great stuff. Very educative. Most clever.

It calls for a boycott, only no one\'s going to boycott it because it\'s a free market.

\"End-customers will even congratulate me.

Thank you guys!\"

So what do the \"guys\" have to say?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-20 03:21 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
The guys... Jun 20, 2002

after a preliminary check of the text to be edited/proof-read, can demand to be paid by the hour. Otherwise, it\'s bye-bye mister clever.

Giovanni

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 09:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
another one will bite Jun 20, 2002

it\'s bye bye from you but there are 100 translators waiting to fill your shoes. The market IS saturated.

This calls for a global \'translator quality\' database. IMHO

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Here\'s the trick: case study on shifting work to the checkers to save money

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs