Mobile menu

Here\'s the trick: case study on shifting work to the checkers to save money
Thread poster: Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc
Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jun 20, 2002

Here\'s the trick - aka, how they do it.

A very clever move in project management.

Say I have 20,000 words for translation into 4 languages.

Case A)

I\'m a project manager.

I contract four professional, reliable translators who charge, say, $0.13 per source word.

Then I contract four professional, reliable editors who charge, say, $0.04 per source word to do the editing.

Finally, I contract four professional, reliable proofers who charge, say, $0.04 per source word to do the proofing.

Cost: $16,800

Case B)

I call myself a project manager.

I contract four so-called translators who charge $0.03 per source word because I say so. I don\'t care if they deliver the poorest quality on planet Earth. The only thing I care about is that they deliver really fast. A fast typist who spent 15 days on a vacation to the target country will do.

Then I contract four professional, reliable translators who are short of work - because I, and many like me, have dumped the market - and I ask them to charge, say, $0.025 per source word to do the editing.

Finally, I contract four professional, reliable translators who are short of work - because I, and many like me, have dumped the market - and I ask them to charge, say, $0.025 per source word to do the proofing.

I\'m very clever and I know that I\'ll surely find such professional, reliable translators who are short of work. I\'m also so clever that I can make up all sorts of stories when these translators start complaining about the despicable quality of the piece of rubbish they\'ll have to edit/proof.

\"This will lead to better assignments in the future\", I assure them. \"Another agency was in charge of the translation, but probably the end-customer will chose us as their language provider after they see how well you (i.e., us) perform, let\'s teach the other agency a lesson\", and so I lure them.

I can make up lots of stories.

Cost: $6,400

Now imagine it\'s 200,000 words instead of 20,000.

Great stuff. Very educative. Most clever.

It calls for a boycott, only no one\'s going to boycott it because it\'s a free market.

\"End-customers will even congratulate me.

Thank you guys!\"

So what do the \"guys\" have to say?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-20 03:21 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:16
Member (2004)
English to Italian
The guys... Jun 20, 2002

after a preliminary check of the text to be edited/proof-read, can demand to be paid by the hour. Otherwise, it\'s bye-bye mister clever.

Giovanni

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 00:16
Japanese to English
+ ...
another one will bite Jun 20, 2002

it\'s bye bye from you but there are 100 translators waiting to fill your shoes. The market IS saturated.

This calls for a global \'translator quality\' database. IMHO

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Here\'s the trick: case study on shifting work to the checkers to save money

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs