Thread poster: Dominika Schoenborn

Dominika Schoenborn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2005

Hello All,
I would like to ask colleagues based in the UK how much they charge to re-typing jobs, if they have any. I've been asked to proofread a translation and re-type it, but I have no idea how much should I charge. Is there any standard rate for this kind of job. Can someone tell me exactly how much should I charge per hour?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-11 06:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
GBP 25 per hour Jul 11, 2005

I would assume around GBP 25 per hour.

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
How much do you need to make per hour? Jul 11, 2005

Dominika Schoenborn wrote:

Hello All,
I would like to ask colleagues based in the UK how much they charge to re-typing jobs, if they have any. I've been asked to proofread a translation and re-type it, but I have no idea how much should I charge. Is there any standard rate for this kind of job. Can someone tell me exactly how much should I charge per hour?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-11 06:58]

How much do you need to earn per month to pay all your expenses and save a little too?
How many hours do you want to work per month?

Take the first figure, divide it by the second and you've got the amount you need to earn in an hour.

Let's dream a little say I want to make EUR 20,000 per month and want to work 20 hours a week (that's 80 hours a month).

That puts my hourly rate at EUR 250....

Okay, so perhaps those are pie in the sky figures for most translators, but that's how hourly rates should be set (in theory at least). Of course the other side of the equation is how much is the market (the customer) prepared to pay for your services....

HTH a little,

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for re-typing (UK)?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs