https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/34707-how_much_should_i_charge_for_a_book_as_a_novice_translator.html

How much should I charge for a book as a novice translator?
Thread poster: Jenn_seo
Jenn_seo
Jenn_seo
United States
Local time: 00:31
Korean to English
Jul 15, 2005

I've just recently begun translating from Korean to English. I have completed a book, which is in the process of being published. Now, I was totally new in this career and the job was offered to me by a friend without my searching for them, so I accepted a minimal fee of $2500 per book. Now I have no background in translation. My B.A. was in English literature and M.A. in teaching English. Currently, another person offered me to translate 4 of his non-fiction books. I am trying to find out... See more
I've just recently begun translating from Korean to English. I have completed a book, which is in the process of being published. Now, I was totally new in this career and the job was offered to me by a friend without my searching for them, so I accepted a minimal fee of $2500 per book. Now I have no background in translation. My B.A. was in English literature and M.A. in teaching English. Currently, another person offered me to translate 4 of his non-fiction books. I am trying to find out the average fee for the translation work. All of the books are about 250 to 300 pages long in Korean. How much rate should I charge per source word? Please advise me!Collapse

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:31
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Depends on many things Jul 15, 2005

Where do you live? Please find a translator assosiation - they should be able to help you. Better yet, join one.

$2500 sounds like much too little.

Just to give some understanding: In Finland, year 2003, for 32 000 character (about 16 pages), the average was €291, this for "good" literature. For less ambitious prose, €269. For children's books, €253. And finally, for non-fiction, €263.

For poetry, this spring, I got about €20 a page.

... See more
Where do you live? Please find a translator assosiation - they should be able to help you. Better yet, join one.

$2500 sounds like much too little.

Just to give some understanding: In Finland, year 2003, for 32 000 character (about 16 pages), the average was €291, this for "good" literature. For less ambitious prose, €269. For children's books, €253. And finally, for non-fiction, €263.

For poetry, this spring, I got about €20 a page.

Thus, these are averages from the cold north, prices vary depending on books, publishers, languages, countries etc.

Hope this helps,
-jr
Collapse

Jenn_seo
Jenn_seo
United States
Local time: 00:31
Korean to English
TOPIC STARTER
More info. about my situation Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for that info.

Well, more facts about my situation--I live in California, U.S.A., and the person offering the job lives in Korea. In Korea, an average salary is about two-thirds of the average salary in U.S. How would that affect the way I decide on my rate? Should I even consider the person's situation, or should I just go by the average rate in the U.S., which would be costly for him?

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:31
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Hmm Jul 15, 2005

Difficult situation.

I guess they can't afford better prices. You should get twice as much.

Maybe you continue with this agreement and get some extra support from some instance, e.g. some foundation Korea-USA or something?

I don't know how it is in States, but in Finland even the local foundations may help in culturally important translation work.

I'd say you should join in some related association to get more information about the possibilitie
... See more
Difficult situation.

I guess they can't afford better prices. You should get twice as much.

Maybe you continue with this agreement and get some extra support from some instance, e.g. some foundation Korea-USA or something?

I don't know how it is in States, but in Finland even the local foundations may help in culturally important translation work.

I'd say you should join in some related association to get more information about the possibilities.

Good luck,
-jr
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Professional Development forum Jul 15, 2005

Hi Jenn_seo,

To expand on Jussi's good advice, may I suggest you take a look at the Professional Development forum? You may learn about such possibilities mentioned, or at least have some ideas, precedents perhaps.

Best of luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for a book as a novice translator?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »