What is the average rate per word in the US?
Thread poster: Camille Sudre

Camille Sudre
Germany
Local time: 18:56
English to French
+ ...
Jul 16, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Could you please advise me about the average rate per word in the US, please?
(agencies vs. direct clients)

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Céline

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... Jul 16, 2005

Hi Céline,
Can you please provide more details? What kind of job are you looking at, in which pairs, etc.?

Best regards,
Ralf

Camille Sudre
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prices in the area of software/hardware localization Jul 16, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Can you please provide more details? What kind of job are you looking at, in which pairs, etc.?

Yes, of course. I am looking for the averate US rate (e.g. "No Match" price per word) for the language pair English to German, but possibly also English to French & Spanish. The subject area is software/hardware localization, IT.

Best regards,

Céline

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nobody in the US Jul 16, 2005

will talk openly about rates. The reasoning is that talking about rates is some kind of violation of the anti-trust regulations (if I tell you how much I charge, you might charge the same and then we have a conspiracy to keep prices high -- or low in the case of freelance translators).

I have learned to charge "as much as possible," leaving it to the client to take the first step in the bargaining process. Sometimes I'm even pleasantly surprised about how much a client is willing to offer.

Benno

[Edited at 2005-07-16 15:23]

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 22:26
English to Assamese
+ ...
Depends Jul 16, 2005

CLagrange wrote:

Hi Ralf,

Yes, of course. I am looking for the averate US rate (e.g. "No Match" price per word) for the language pair English to German, but possibly also English to French & Spanish. The subject area is software/hardware localization, IT.

Best regards,

Céline

It depends on the nature of the job, the client and also your reputation in the market. But it hovers widely between USD 0.10 and USD 0.25 per source word. For small jobs, you may charge as much as $60 per hour.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Straight talk Jul 17, 2005

I charge a minimum of 11 cents and a maximum of 15 cents [overnight super rush]...many of my colleagues do the same...

There is no law that says you can't say this by the way. It's organizations that can't. Not individuals.

Cheers and good luck.

Camille Sudre
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 18, 2005

Hi,

I would like to thank everybody for their comments/information. Here in Germany the agency rates offered usually vary between 0.07 to 0.10 euros per source word.

Best regards,

Céline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the average rate per word in the US?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums