Thread poster: Günter Whittome

Günter Whittome  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:51
Member (2005)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Jul 17, 2005

A client wants me to transscribe - simply write down - what's being said on a DVD, interviews to be precise (carried out in German). Job involves no translating.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:51
Member (2005)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Jul 17, 2005

Even if it doesn’t involve translation, you are a translator, and the job involves your linguistic skills. I would charge my usual hourly rate, the same rate I charge for editing, revision, proof-reading, etc.
I had many jobs where the client needed a transcript in the original language, and then a translation of the transcript into English. I charged by the hour for the transcript, and by word count for the translation.
Hope this helps.
All the best,
Elizabeth

Strohfeuer
Local time: 20:51
English to German
+ ...
hourly Jul 24, 2005

Transcription can be terribly time-consuming and exhausting.
I would also go for an hourly rate.
The client should be able to tell you how many minutes/hours of recordings they've got, and based on this you should able to agree a reasonable turnaround.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ten minutes takes an hour to do Jul 25, 2005

whittome wrote:
A client wants me to transscribe - simply write down - what's being said on a DVD, interviews to be precise (carried out in German). Job involves no translating.

See also my post on this:
http://www.proz.com/topic/34925

I don't know of any freeware software that can be used to transcribe video files, but if you can extract the sound from those files, you can use the freeware program Express Scribe (see my post referenced above).

I have found (over this past weekend) that it takes me one hour to transcribe ten minutes of sound, and this includes doing post-checking and using the video material to add time-stamps to the speakers' names.

It also takes its toll on your ears (use headphones unless you live alone and have thick walls).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge video (DVD) transscription

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs