Mobile menu

Problems with moneybookers
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat
cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
Jul 18, 2005

Hey all!
I have been using moneybookers for quite a while and it worked fine until now. This time I am having big problems with it. First of all, the problem comes from a payment that they had problems transfering. It went on for a couple of weeks. I wanted to withdraw the money a couple of days ago and they asked to verify my account as if it was the first time ever. I emailed them asking them what was going on. And here is their answer:
"We would like to explain that according to our records you have already considered bank account verification procedure by withdrawing amount less than EUR 15.00, however you have not completed the verification and withdrawals from the account were not permanently authorized. Hence, now we would kindly suggest you to consider manual identity confirmation option by providing us with your official identification document with photo such as International passport, driving license or national identity card as well as with most recent utility bill or bank statement to confirm mailing address submitted with profile. Completion of this procedure will authorize bank wire withdrawals from your account with us and will increase overall transaction limits as well."
I don't understand, since I already withdrew money to my bank account several times! Has it happened to you already? And if so, what should I do? I feel discriminated against, as if I was a robber or a criminal, and I don't like that...
Thanks a lot in advance.
Take care

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:40
English to German
+ ...
Did you complete the confirmation process? Jul 18, 2005

Hi Cendrine,
"We would like to explain that according to our records you have already considered bank account verification procedure by withdrawing amount less than EUR 15.00, however you have not completed the verification and withdrawals from the account were not permanently authorized.

Did you complete that process? Verifying your bank account works like this: you will receive a payment from your Moneybookers account to your bank account; you will need the reference code stated in that payment to register your bank account with MB. This is designed to prevent someone else from accessing your MB profile and entering another account to siphon off money.

Have you checked your current transaction limits?
I would suggest to contact their helpdesk.

Best regards,
Ralf

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I did the first time I used their service Jul 18, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Cendrine,
Did you complete that process? Verifying your bank account works like this: you will receive a payment from your Moneybookers account to your bank account; you will need the reference code stated in that payment to register your bank account with MB. This is designed to prevent someone else from accessing your MB profile and entering another account to siphon off money.

Have you checked your current transaction limits?
I would suggest to contact their helpdesk.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf and thanks for your answer.
Yes I did that the first time I used Moneybookers to withdraw money to my bank account. Then, I could transfer money to my account several times, and not only small lump sums. I am registered with them.
The answer they gave me comes from their helpdesk. That's why I don't understand, considering that it worked before, I don't see why I should do the same steps again, and plus give personal info, such as my passport details, and so on. Maybe it sounds silly or stupid to say that, but I really feel discriminated against...

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About my limit Jul 18, 2005

I just wanted to add that my limit is at least a hundred times higher than the actual amount I want to withdraw...

Germany
English to German
+ ...
I see a problem (perhaps), but no discrimination... Jul 18, 2005

Hi again,
Yes I did that the first time I used Moneybookers to withdraw money to my bank account.

Do you know (or are you assuming) that the registration process was completed successfully? Did you get a confirmation that your account was registered?

Then, I could transfer money to my account several times, and not only small lump sums. I am registered with them.

Repeating my question... did you check your current withdrawal limits?

The answer they gave me comes from their helpdesk. That's why I don't understand, considering that it worked before, I don't see why I should do the same steps again, and plus give personal info, such as my passport details, and so on. Maybe it sounds silly or stupid to say that, but I really feel discriminated against...

Frankly, I don't see any discrimination here - opbtaining identification details is pretty standard practice wherever money is involved. In fact, in Germany it's illegal to open a bank account without checking the account holder's identity.

Note that I'm not defending MB at all - what I'm saying is that there's a problem to be sorted out.

Best regards,
Ralf

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info Jul 18, 2005

I will answer all your questions.

1) Do you know (or are you assuming) that the registration process was completed successfully? Did you get a confirmation that your account was registered?

I did 5 transfers between October 2004 and March 2005. They all worked out fine.

2) did you check your current withdrawal limits?

It's at least a hundred times higher than the current amount I want to withdraw.

3)Frankly, I don't see any discrimination here - opbtaining identification details is pretty standard practice wherever money is involved. In fact, in Germany it's illegal to open a bank account without checking the account holder's identity.

So why had they never asked me that before? As I said already, I was able to withdraw up to 600 Canadian dollars without having any problem at all!

I do understand you are not defending them but the problem has been going on for weeks now, and it is pretty annoying...

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Annoying vs. discriminating Jul 18, 2005

Thanks again - looks like there's a real problem.

I do understand you are not defending them but the problem has been going on for weeks now, and it is pretty annoying...

Most certainly - guess why I'm using bank transfers...
The only reason why I have both a Moneybookers and a Paypal account is that I need to be able to respond to queries here.

But still, I don't see discrimination here.

What you need to bear in mind (again, this is not meant to be an excuse) is that anyone handling online payments is scared stiff by the sheer extent of fraud going on. That's why they're taking precautions, and play by the rule to the extreme, even at the expense of driving some of their customers up the wall (and probably out of the door). There's a real problem out there.

Cheers, Ralf

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep, there is Jul 18, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Thanks again - looks like there's a real problem.

Most certainly - guess why I'm using bank transfers...
The only reason why I have both a Moneybookers and a Paypal account is that I need to be able to respond to queries here.

But still, I don't see discrimination here.

What you need to bear in mind (again, this is not meant to be an excuse) is that anyone handling online payments is scared stiff by the sheer extent of fraud going on. That's why they're taking precautions, and play by the rule to the extreme, even at the expense of driving some of their customers up the wall (and probably out of the door). There's a real problem out there.

Cheers, Ralf

Thanks again for your answer. What do you advise me to do in this case? Should I stick to what they said? Or should I stand my ground, considering that they never asked me to provide personal info before?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Call them Jul 18, 2005

Thanks again for your answer. What do you advise me to do in this case? Should I stick to what they said? Or should I stand my ground, considering that they never asked me to provide personal info before?

I would give them a call, to discuss the situation.

Cheers, Ralf

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 18, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I would give them a call, to discuss the situation.

Cheers, Ralf

I emailed them but received no answer from them yet.

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jul 19, 2005

Hi Ralf!
Thanks again for your quick replies.
I just wanted to inform you that Moneybookers indeed changed their security requirement. I'll copy and paste it here for anyone who might be interested.

"We would like to explain that indeed it was possible for the users to withdraw funds without completing bank account verification procedure, however according to the latest security requirement such option is no longer available and user's identity should be confirmed. There are several options for confirming identity provided, including bank account verification, which being considered once by you, could not be used any longer. Hence, we would strongly recommend you identity confirmation on the base of requested documents as we consider this procedure to be most cost effective for you."

I followed the procedure and in an hour, my identity was checked and I could transfer the money right away to my account!
Take care and have a good week.
Cendrine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with moneybookers

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs