How to charge for translating power point slides
Thread poster: kirhod200
kirhod200
kirhod200
Local time: 00:59
German to English
Jul 20, 2005

A customer of mine (whom I normally charge by line) has asked me for a quote for 40 PPT slides (English - German). They require a quote/slide which is tricky as some of the slides have 5 bullet points (e.g. ca. 30 words) and others have graphics which I should not only translate but also format the words into the graphics. (Time consuming) Any suggsetions? They have mentioned that work will exceed the initial 40 slides in the end and is an ongoing project.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:59
Flemish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate + number of words. Jul 20, 2005

Hourly rate + number of words in the ppt.presentation.
Translation of .ppt : not very interesting if you use only word-count

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
character Jul 20, 2005

i usually charge per character (i.e. per page where unit price is XY for 1800 characters and than multiplied). i work over their PP and then there is no need for me to do anything withit (e.g. animation, colour...). counting number of words/characters in PP can sometimes be difficult since people tend to write in places not foreseen for words and than mess it up. so, in such instances, i copy all the text to word (quite easy using alt+tab function with copy/paste) and then count while in the wor... See more
i usually charge per character (i.e. per page where unit price is XY for 1800 characters and than multiplied). i work over their PP and then there is no need for me to do anything withit (e.g. animation, colour...). counting number of words/characters in PP can sometimes be difficult since people tend to write in places not foreseen for words and than mess it up. so, in such instances, i copy all the text to word (quite easy using alt+tab function with copy/paste) and then count while in the word. it is timeconsuming, though!

what you might consider is setting a price per slide by taking the 'largest' and the 'smallest' slide and finding a middle figure for the word volume and than making your price on the base of that.

i hope this helps
Collapse

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
forgot graphics Jul 20, 2005

well... when it comes to graphics, why don't you charge per word that you insert in a graphic on a different scale. i.e. if you charge 0,05 per 'normal' word without sweat, charge 0,08 in graphics.

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
Russian to English
+ ...
Powerpoint slides Jul 20, 2005

Whatever you charge per page in Word. However, 3 slides equals one "page"." Negotiate for additional work for extra formatting. The formula works for some clients.

Kerstin Mohnberg
Kerstin Mohnberg  Identity Verified
English to German
per word plus layout Jul 24, 2005

Go for a per-word rate, and if you already see that there's a lot of layouting involved, ask if they would pay a one-off "layout" fee. If the slides are very crammed, there may be shortening involved to make the translation fit in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for translating power point slides

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »