Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2005

Hello!

I need your help to learn more about translation rates in México. I need this information to negotiate a big upcomiong project.

I understand there's people who charges very ridiculous rates, but it all comes to quality...

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rufino

Greta Vera
Greta Vera  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Regarding rates in Mexico Jul 21, 2005

Dear Rufino,

I am a translator in Mexico, and as you have pointed out, some people's rates are ridiculous. This is mainly because not everyone is specialized.

For example, in the city where I live the rates can go very low from 50 pesos (250 words) up to 200 pesos for the same amount of words.

I can only tell you that it is terrible, since they are not thinking about the quality of the translations.

If there is anything I can help you aout wit
... See more
Dear Rufino,

I am a translator in Mexico, and as you have pointed out, some people's rates are ridiculous. This is mainly because not everyone is specialized.

For example, in the city where I live the rates can go very low from 50 pesos (250 words) up to 200 pesos for the same amount of words.

I can only tell you that it is terrible, since they are not thinking about the quality of the translations.

If there is anything I can help you aout with I will be happy to do it!

Have a great day,

Greta
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Conversión... Jul 21, 2005

El sistema en México es más bien por página.
50 pesos = 4.54 dólares / 250 palabras = 0.018 por palabra
200 pesos = 18.18 dólares / 250 palabras = 0.07 por palabra
Pero esta última tarifa, excepcionalísima, claro.
El precio promedio es de 100, 120 pesos = entre 0.036 y 0.043 por palabra.
Ahora bien, las pocas traducciones de textos que hago, las cuento a 220 palabras por página.
Suerte.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Range: 30 - 250 Jul 21, 2005

I have observed a range of rates from 30 to 250 pesos per cuartilla. I would advise bidding the same rate that you are willing to accept from a client in any other part of the world, since you will not profit from getting the job at a low price. If the client is not able to meet your price, it is better to let the job go.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Rates in Mexico Jul 22, 2005

I also compete in Mexico and charge rates toward the high end of what has been mentioned by others here, but often slightly lower than for U.S. clients.

The clients I have there appreciate the quality they get, especially for material translated from Spanish to English that reflects the merits of their organizations.

They will pay for it when they know it is worth it.

John Nagel
John Nagel  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
.048-.07 is usuallly enough, anything below, be very careful. Jul 22, 2005

Think about the .048-.07 per word range for very high quality for most topics for corporate clients...We are an agency and are able to provide high quality traslations for our clients in this price range. Anything below that, and I would watch out. Get samples and monitor the work during the process, because sometimes ostensibly qualified freelancers have astonishingly low standards. For highly specialized stuff like medical, petroleum, auto, etc. be prepared to pay significantly more. Clients w... See more
Think about the .048-.07 per word range for very high quality for most topics for corporate clients...We are an agency and are able to provide high quality traslations for our clients in this price range. Anything below that, and I would watch out. Get samples and monitor the work during the process, because sometimes ostensibly qualified freelancers have astonishingly low standards. For highly specialized stuff like medical, petroleum, auto, etc. be prepared to pay significantly more. Clients within Mexico usually expect to pay towards the lower end of the range. Translations certified by a "perito," or official translator for use in the Mexican legal system, are quite expensive, from .08-.15 per word. Just my .02.

[Edited at 2005-07-22 06:52]This is for local AND international clients.

[Edited at 2005-07-22 20:16]
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates in Mexico Jul 22, 2005

One thing worth mentioning is that the quoted prices so far are for *local* jobs (Mexican clients).

International rates (US and European clients) start at US$0.08/word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates in Mexico

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »