Legal Procedure for non-payment
Thread poster: xxxNathalieVVT
xxxNathalieVVT  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
French to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2005

I would like to know the legal procedure for non-payment. I ma based in the UK and the client is based in the US.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
Local time: 14:58
English to Dutch
Depends Jul 26, 2005

It depends. You might use the services of an agency, which will cost you money, but they will take care of everything, including a possible court case, if necessary. That is probably the easiest if you are working with a contract that is based on American law.

If you did not sign a contract with your client that stipulates the applicable law, my guess is that UK law is applicable (at least, that is the case in the Netherlands: no signed contract stipulating which law is applicable -> your choice).

In that case you could go to the UK courts to start proceedings to collect your money. Depending on the amount (up to £5000), you could resort to the Small Claims Court. Quick procedure and relatively low costs because you do not have to use a solicitor to present the case.

Good luck.
Marion

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No contract Jul 26, 2005

Hi Marion,

I do not have a contract signed nor an order, just e-mails. Is it worth it? The invoice amounts to around £400.

Nathalie Vu-Van-Toan wrote:

I would like to know the legal procedure for non-payment. I ma based in the UK and the client is based in the US.

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Natalie! Jul 26, 2005

E-mails are valid as well for collecting your money.

I'm in a quite similar situation and an American company is taking care of my case.

I think it's always worthwhile no matter the amount involved (in my case it's not much than 500 US$). You usually have to pay half of the amount to the company that collects your money and, in my opinion, it's better than not receiving at all.

Best,
Ivana

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Name of the American Co? Jul 26, 2005

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

E-mails are valid as well for collecting your money.

I'm in a quite similar situation and an American company is taking care of my case.

I think it's always worthwhile no matter the amount involved (in my case it's not much than 500 US$). You usually have to pay half of the amount to the company that collects your money and, in my opinion, it's better than not receiving at all.

Best,
Ivana

Thanks Ivana,

I don't really know where to start, who to contact. Do you think I could have the name of the American Company, may be it won't work with them because my client is based in Texas but they could advise me on who to contact in Texas. Thanks!

craigs
Local time: 08:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Google: texas collections Jul 26, 2005

If you enter the above words into google, you will find links for the following:

http://www.acollectionagency.com/olddebts/

http://www.texascollections.com/

http://www.jca1.com/debt-collection-agencies-texas.htm

http://www.planodebt-collections.com/

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Craig Jul 26, 2005

Thank you so much Craig! I have sent a request to www.texascollections.com. This is what I needed to get me started.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal Procedure for non-payment

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs