Thread poster: laurem
laurem  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:37
English to French
+ ...
Jul 27, 2005

Question to all translating from Belgium:
I was told by my accountant that as I am based in BE, i.e. the service is rendered from BE, the Belgian VAT (21%) should apply for my translations wherever the client is based.
When I make an offer, I do not specify VAT, i.e. 100 words at 0.10 EUR/word.
When I invoice though I invoice 10 EUR and indicate the details 7.90 (without VAT) and 2.10 (VAT).
This morning, I received a payment from a customer in CH who paid the amount without VAT specified on my invoice and stated CH does not pay VAT as it is outside EU.
He asked me then to reissue an invoice without VAT.
Is this correct? Can you tell me how you do it so I do not encounter this issue in the future?
Thanks,
Laurence
lremacle@skynet.be (if you want to answer personally)

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try the forum search Jul 27, 2005

Hi Laurence,
Have you tried the forum search? VAT issues - including vis-à-vis clients outside the EUR - have been discussed in numerous threads.

Best regards,
Ralf

Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, I tried! Jul 27, 2005

I know the issue came up a numer of times. I did a search on VAT and got the following:

Your search did not return any results

Note: Due to technical limitations, the advanced search can not find words 3 letters or smaller.

I have tried other key words to search for an answer and could not find the what I am looking for. I just thought it would be easier to ask Belgian translators for help.

Laurence

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What did you search for? Jul 27, 2005

Hi again,
Did you search for "EU" only?

I tried "EU VAT Switzerland" and came up with some results, including this one. By refining your search, you should be able to find more.

Personally, I believe your accountant is wrong, or you may have misunderstood him - there's a different VAT treatment for services rendered to businesses in other EU countries, or outside the EU.

To be on the safe side, you should always clearly state whether or not your prices include VAT, and at what rate.

Best regards,
Ralf

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Get a new accountant Jul 27, 2005

Laurence,

Time to get a new accountant I think. No VAT is chargeable to customers outside the EU for starters, and VAT is not charged by the seller (that's you) on translations provided to business customers in other member states, although the buyer has to charge it.

As Ralf says, we've had so many discussions of VAT over the past few months, I'm sure you'll find more than enough to send you to sleep...

ace-translation  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
No "TVA" abroad Jul 27, 2005

Bonjour Laurence,

If you invoice outside Belgium, you don't need to put TVA details because it is not applicable. This is the sentence I put at the bottom of my invoices :

"Prestation de matière intelectuelle localisée à l’étranger –Art. 21§3,7° du code belge de la TVA.
TVA belge non-applicable"

If you invoice in Belgium you set the price HTVA (21%) and the client will pay the full price.

Hope it helps,
cheers
Fabrizio

Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 27, 2005

Thanks to all who provided me with an answer.

And I just took an accountant to get rid of all these questions...

Silvy Codde  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
put VAT number of your client on invoice Jul 27, 2005

There is a VAT exemption for services between countries of the EU. However, you have to mention the abovementioned article on your invoice AND you have to mention the VAT number and address of your EU-based client.

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Problem of understanding Jul 27, 2005

Hello,

I never really understand where the problem is. My tax official in France also told me that I have to invoice VAT for all customers what is actually wrong. 99 % of all the translators don't invoice VAT when the customer delivers the european VAT number. They can't be wrong even if some tax officials and accountants don't agree.

Cheers

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating from Belgium - VAT issue

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs