Thread poster: laura castori

laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:27
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda like 3 months ago i translated a documentary for a company based in Rome. They said they would pay after 90 days... well it's been more than that now. I sent 'em a first email and i didn't get any reply... sent another one and then all i got was that my translation was so bad that they had to rewrite it (guys... if i didn't have the adaptation they made i would have believed it myself.. but comparing 'em there's not that much difference. Of course adapting is not translating. I attended a master degree in translating, adapting and subtitling EN/IT... that was my real first job in this field...I'm 27... I only wonder if it's so hard to get honest people that will give you the opportunity to work!!!! What is sad... is to think that maybe i'm not the only one who's been used just to translate and without even a pay..... when we all know how much who makes the adapting gets....

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
General Conditions Aug 1, 2005

Hi menestrella,

If you haven't made your customer aware of any General Conditions for your services, like "Complaints must be made in writing and must be sent to menestrella by e-mail in the seven days following reception of work. The absence of any dispute indicates unconditional, unreserved acceptance of the delivered services.", and if, at the time, your customer didn't make you aware of their General Conditions stating otherwise, your invoice is the only thing that's important.

If you've just e-mailed with your customer, and if your customer has never made you aware of any special General Conditions they have, and if your customer complained only three months later, after you had send them a reminder, they're in bad faith. That doesn't mean they won't have to pay. Make them pay and refer your next customer to your General Conditions.

Regards,
Gerard

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Everyone must be given a chance to correct Aug 2, 2005

General conditions regarding buying and selling goods and services state that seller must be notified if there is anything wrong with the product/service he/she has delivered and thereby be given the chance to correct this.

You should tell your client this.
If you have not been given this notification (and you obviously haven't) and have not been given the chance to correct any mistakes (and you very obviously haven't), then they have no right not to pay you.

Best of luck.

Parpalhol  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Have a look at this website! Aug 2, 2005

http://www.payontime.co.uk/collect/collect_checklist.html

It gives really valuable advice on that subject.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's fair enough! Aug 8, 2005

PCovs wrote:

General conditions regarding buying and selling goods and services state that seller must be notified if there is anything wrong with the product/service he/she has delivered and thereby be given the chance to correct this.

I heard about this before. Does anyone know where this guideline appears officially ?

I am sure that this could avoid us more than a headache.

Thanks in advance.

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

when the company avoids payment

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs