https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/35266-when_the_company_avoids_payment.html

when the company avoids payment
Thread poster: laura castori
laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda like 3 months ago i translated a documentary for a company based in Rome. They said they would pay after 90 days... well it's been more than that now. I sent 'em a first email and i didn't get any reply... sent another one and then all i got was that my translation was so bad that they had to rewrite it (guys... if i didn't have the adaptation they made i would have believed it myself.. but comparing 'em there's not that much difference. Of course adapting is not translating. I attended a ... See more
Kinda like 3 months ago i translated a documentary for a company based in Rome. They said they would pay after 90 days... well it's been more than that now. I sent 'em a first email and i didn't get any reply... sent another one and then all i got was that my translation was so bad that they had to rewrite it (guys... if i didn't have the adaptation they made i would have believed it myself.. but comparing 'em there's not that much difference. Of course adapting is not translating. I attended a master degree in translating, adapting and subtitling EN/IT... that was my real first job in this field...I'm 27... I only wonder if it's so hard to get honest people that will give you the opportunity to work!!!! What is sad... is to think that maybe i'm not the only one who's been used just to translate and without even a pay..... when we all know how much who makes the adapting gets....Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
General Conditions Aug 1, 2005

Hi menestrella,

If you haven't made your customer aware of any General Conditions for your services, like "Complaints must be made in writing and must be sent to menestrella by e-mail in the seven days following reception of work. The absence of any dispute indicates unconditional, unreserved acceptance of the delivered services.", and if, at the time, your customer didn't make you aware of their General Conditions stating otherwise, your invoice is the only thing that's important.<
... See more
Hi menestrella,

If you haven't made your customer aware of any General Conditions for your services, like "Complaints must be made in writing and must be sent to menestrella by e-mail in the seven days following reception of work. The absence of any dispute indicates unconditional, unreserved acceptance of the delivered services.", and if, at the time, your customer didn't make you aware of their General Conditions stating otherwise, your invoice is the only thing that's important.

If you've just e-mailed with your customer, and if your customer has never made you aware of any special General Conditions they have, and if your customer complained only three months later, after you had send them a reminder, they're in bad faith. That doesn't mean they won't have to pay. Make them pay and refer your next customer to your General Conditions.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Everyone must be given a chance to correct Aug 2, 2005

General conditions regarding buying and selling goods and services state that seller must be notified if there is anything wrong with the product/service he/she has delivered and thereby be given the chance to correct this.

You should tell your client this.
If you have not been given this notification (and you obviously haven't) and have not been given the chance to correct any mistakes (and you very obviously haven't), then they have no right not to pay you.

Best
... See more
General conditions regarding buying and selling goods and services state that seller must be notified if there is anything wrong with the product/service he/she has delivered and thereby be given the chance to correct this.

You should tell your client this.
If you have not been given this notification (and you obviously haven't) and have not been given the chance to correct any mistakes (and you very obviously haven't), then they have no right not to pay you.

Best of luck.
Collapse

Parpalhol
Parpalhol  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Have a look at this website! Aug 2, 2005

http://www.payontime.co.uk/collect/collect_checklist.html

It gives really valuable advice on that subject.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's fair enough! Aug 8, 2005

PCovs wrote:

I heard about this before. Does anyone know where this guideline appears officially ?

I am sure that this could avoid us more than a headache.

Thanks in advance.

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

when the company avoids payment

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »