How to verify US-based agencies
Thread poster: Mikolaj Rasmussen

Mikolaj Rasmussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

I have been contracted by a US based agency with an office in Russia too. I have some doubts about how serious the company is. How can I check if company data is right. In Europe we can trace any company by its registration number /Vat number in some countries/. Is there any Central Company Directory in the US and what would be the name of the code used to identify companies? Any other suggestions how to scan a possible fraud?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-04 16:31]

Direct link Reply with quote
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 05:10
German to English
No central directory of companies in US Aug 4, 2005

Unfortunately you'll have to rely on the proz Blue Board, and other payment practice lists to obtain information about the prospective client. You might inquire whether the company is a corporate member of the American Translators Association or a regional translators association. Although this is no guarantee of financial solvency or acceptable payment practices, my experience has been that agencies that support professional organizations tend to be reliable.

Local time: 05:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some states require registration of certain industries Aug 4, 2005

For instance, Georgia (USA) requires certain types of businesses that are based in other states to register with the Georgia Secretary of State and have a Resident Agent. These are all listed on a public website for anyone to look up. Often corporations are listed publicly also. If you have a business address and name, that is a good starting point to hunt them down to their roots on the internet.
All this can confirm that said entity exists in paper only, and it does not vouch for its ethical accountabiliy or integrity.
You can message me if you think I can be of any more assistance.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Search the states individually for trade names Aug 4, 2005

casama wrote:
In Europe we can trace any company by its registration number /Vat number in some countries.

I remember that I was able to perform a search on trade names and registered company names in each of the United States' individual states, but I can't remember where. Try Googling for places where you can check patents or trade names in the individual states.

invguy  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
English to Bulgarian
Better Business Bureau Aug 5, 2005

Might not be exactly what you need, but take a look: Was recommended to me by a US colleague a couple of years ago.

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Russian to English
+ ...
transpayment, payment practices Aug 5, 2005

Those are the names of two yahoo groups mailing lists that have lots of information. Once you join the lists you will be able to search the groups' archives for the name of the agency or the name of the contact person. You can also post a query.

They are separate lists run by different people and have slightly different rules, but definitely check them both out. I have tound both of them to be very useful sources of information.

Elizabeth Adams

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to verify US-based agencies

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs