https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/35703-is_it_dangerous_to_give_my_bank_account_to_a_company.html

is it dangerous to give my bank account to a company?
Thread poster: Rafael Castaneda
Rafael Castaneda
Rafael Castaneda
Local time: 14:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2005

I´m a starter as a translator and I would like to know more about the payment, FOr example if it is by bank account. Is it dangerous to give my bank account to a company??

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on who "the company" is... Aug 16, 2005

Hi Rafael,
Welcome to ProZ.com.

You did not specify who you're referring to when you're talking about "a company". If it's a customer, you will need to make sure they have your bank account details - how else would they be able to pay you?

Bank details are part of your business details - I state our bank details on our company stationery.

On the other hand, I wouldn't publish them (or pass them on to just about everybody), as somebody might try to cha
... See more
Hi Rafael,
Welcome to ProZ.com.

You did not specify who you're referring to when you're talking about "a company". If it's a customer, you will need to make sure they have your bank account details - how else would they be able to pay you?

Bank details are part of your business details - I state our bank details on our company stationery.

On the other hand, I wouldn't publish them (or pass them on to just about everybody), as somebody might try to charge a direct debit. (Don't know the situation in Spain - in Germany, you can return incorrect direct debits for up to six weeks. This requires that you check your business account on a regular basis, but then you're going to do that anyway...)

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Rafael Castaneda
Rafael Castaneda
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 16, 2005

thank you for the reply!
I would try to trust the companies!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Careful... Aug 16, 2005

I would try to trust the companies!

Not a problem as far as giving out bank details is concerned.

However, you should always bear in mind that doing business with an unknown customer is equivalent to lending them money. Check out the articles posted in the Business Section of the ProZ.com Article Knowledge Base.

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The advantages outweigh the possible disadvantages Aug 17, 2005

Rafael Castaneda wrote:
I´m a starter as a translator and I would like to know more about the payment, for example if it is by bank account. Is it dangerous to give my bank account to a company?

It would be dangerous to give the company access to your bank account, but I suspect what you mean is "Is it dangerous to give my bank account details to a company"... in which case my answer is that it's not really dangerous. They can't steal your money or your identity that way.

Well, okay, if you're paranoid... yes, they can steal your money and your identity, but what are the chances that a translation agency would employ hackers and crackers to crack your bank account and steal what little money is in it? Besides, those hackers who want to take your money, can find out what your bank details are even if you don't give it to them.

No, the agency has a legitimate reason why they want your bank details and you can give them the following without fear:

Account holder's name, Bank name, Bank address, Account number, Account type, Branch number, Branch name, and SWIFT code.

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 06:44
English
Which details? Aug 17, 2005

If someone has your bank account number and the bank's "routing number" all they can do is send money to you. Agencies oftwen will pay "by wire": an electronic transaction.

For them to withdraw money from your account, they would also need for you to specify that they are among the persons allowed to authorize withdrawals.

Rafael Castaneda
Rafael Castaneda
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 17, 2005

Thank u everyone for the information...It´s the first time I give someone my credit card detais...but now I feel better thanks to your comments!
Thank u!
Rafa

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hang on... are you talking about bank or credit card details? Aug 18, 2005

Rafael,
Your last response worries me a bit - what exactly are we talking about here?

It´s the first time I give someone my credit card detais

The big difference between bank account and credit card details is that with the latter, someone can charge your credit card account (that's the essence of a credit card). Therefore, you should be careful who you're giving your CC number to.

So, could you please clarify which one you're referring to?

Puzzled, Ralf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do not give credit card details! Aug 18, 2005

Rafael Castaneda wrote:
It´s the first time I give someone my credit card detais...

Hold it right there, matey!

Giving your account number is not the same as giving your credit card number. Do not give your credit card number to anyone. If you're not sure what the difference is, speak to your bank and ask them to write down your *account number* for you.

I can transfer money into someone's credit card account if I have their credit card number, yes, but giving out a credit card number is dangerous.

Rather get yourself another type of account (a cheque account, a savings account, a transmission account, or a basic account, depending on what your country calls it), and let clients pay the fees into that account. You can always transfer money electronically (via internet, telephone, cell phone or ATM) from your one account to your credit card, can't you?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

is it dangerous to give my bank account to a company?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »