Mobile menu

income tax in France
Thread poster: Cynthia Wang
Cynthia Wang
English to Chinese
Aug 18, 2005

Hello

Who would tell me what the income rate is in France, or where I can get such info?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 20:22
French to English
Here's a start... Aug 18, 2005

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-tax-advice/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2254

If you earn a decent amount of money and don't have children, be prepared to pay *a lot* of income tax in France...

Good luck!

Sara

Cynthia Wang
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Another query Aug 18, 2005

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-tax-advice/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2254

If you earn a decent amount of money and don't have children, be prepared to pay *a lot* of income tax in France...

Good luck!

Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks a lot for your help!

I've read the article following the link you provided. Since I have no idea of living in France, would you please tell me whether the income listed in the table of that article is yearly income or monthly one? How often is a French resident required to pay income tax in one year?

[Edited at 2005-08-18 10:13]

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
income tax Aug 18, 2005

I suppose you ask for a translator.
Well, for me (single, no child) : 18,31 % of my annual income, paid in three times. I received the nice green paper yesterday

Sara said it: be prepared to pay high taxes...

Sylvain

[Edited at 2005-08-18 10:19]

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Taxes based on annual income... Aug 18, 2005

You always pay your taxes the year *after* the year for which you reported the income. You can choose to pay in three installments (something like Feb, May, and October??) or in 10 monthly installments based on the previous year with an adjustment the 11th and 12th months if necessary (the adjustment is necessary because your tax amount is assessed early in the year based on the previous year before you actually file in April...after you actually file, there may be an adjustment if your income changes significantly from the previous year).

My household is in the whopping 37% nominal bracket. I think the maximum nominal rate is 48%. We would pay over 900 euro per month in income tax if not for a couple of tax-deductible investments.

If you have kids, the situation is not as bleak.

There is definitely no escaping the tax man in France, so there's really no use complaining about it...I keep telling myself that it's logical for me to pay more (no kids) because all of those Other People's Children out there (whose households get huge tax breaks) will be paying my way when I retire (if the system hasn't gone bankrupt by then, of course).

Good luck!

Sara

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
So I guess mine is coming soon, too... Aug 18, 2005

Sylvain Leray wrote:

I received the nice green paper yesterday

[Edited at 2005-08-18 10:19]

Mine is probably sitting in my mailbox right now...

Surprisingly, last year I forgot to indclude a deduction, sent the tax office a letter, and they sent me a check *immediately* for the amount of the deduction. Amazing. I just about fell over.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 11:22
English to French
+ ...
not that surprising really... Aug 18, 2005

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Surprisingly, last year I forgot to indclude a deduction, sent the tax office a letter, and they sent me a check *immediately* for the amount of the deduction. Amazing. I just about fell over.

They have to pay interest if they owe you money. Otherwise, they would take their sweet time.

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Even if it was due to my error? Aug 18, 2005

sarahl wrote:

They have to pay interest if they owe you money. Otherwise, they would take their sweet time.

Now that *would* be impressive

Now we are definitely getting off topic in this thread...better go check the mail for my 2004 tax statement...

Sara

xxxsarahl
Local time: 11:22
English to French
+ ...
Yes Sara! Aug 18, 2005

My first year back in France I filed for a deduction several months late. They sent me a refund with intérêts moratoires as they call them.

I wish they would extend this to all those public services in France.

Cynthia Wang
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 19, 2005

Thank you all for your introduction! They're quite useful for me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

income tax in France

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs