Mobile menu

Taxes paid between EU Member States? What\'s your experience?
Thread poster: sylvie malich

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 12:54
German to English
Jun 28, 2002

Here\'s the thing: I was always under the impression that MwSt between EU Member States was non existant for translators. Now my Steuerberater insists that I have to pay, say, the Netherlands tax on a job and at the end of the tax year apply for this tax money back. Huh? Is he wrong or are most of my translating colleagues wrong.

Because of my questioning reaction he went so far as to research the thing for 2 hours and send me a flurry of faxes full of legalese and charge me 80EU for it to boot (which I haven\'t paid).

What is your experience? What does your tax consultant say. I haven\'t yet done my taxes for 2001 and am not looking forward to an unpleasant surprise.

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
It depends... Jun 28, 2002

Your question refers to invoicing companies in the EU for your work, I take it, not to purchasing from them, right?

This is covered in great detail in a thread in the German SC forum:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=3346&forum=27&5

You may want to get a print-out of that thread and charge your accountant...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-28 15:57 ]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
VAT registration Jun 28, 2002

Whether or not cross-border services are VATable depends on the type of service rendered, but also on whether you are registered for VAT (IOW if you are eligible to deduct input tax (\"Vorsteuer\") in Germany, for example). The waiver of VAT is by no means automatic.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Further reading Jul 2, 2002

Here\'s what I found on the Website: http://www.akademie.de/business/tipps_tricks/finanzwesen/rechnung_ohne_grenzen.html

\"Umsatzsteuerfreie Dienstleistungen für ausländische Unternehmen

Für sonstige Leistungen an Unternehmen im EU-Ausland brauchen Sie meistens ebenfalls keine Umsatzsteuer zu berechnen und abzuführen. **Normalerweise benötigen Sie dafür noch nicht einmal eine UID, auch die Teilnahme am Umsatzsteuer-Kontrollverfahren über \"Zusammenfassende Meldungen\" ist nicht erforderlich.**

Sonstige Leistungen im Sinne des Absatzes 3 sind:

... 3. die sonstigen Leistungen aus der Tätigkeit als Rechtsanwalt, Patentanwalt, Steuerberater, Steuerbevollmächtigter, Wirtschaftsprüfer, vereidigter Buchprüfer, Sachverständiger, Ingenieur, Aufsichtsratsmitglied, **Dolmetscher und Übersetzer** sowie ähnliche Leistungen anderer Unternehmer, insbesondere die rechtliche, wirtschaftliche und technische Beratung;

So I was right and my Steuerberater was wrong!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taxes paid between EU Member States? What\'s your experience?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs