Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:49
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Aug 27, 2005

Incredible? YES but
http://www.voipbuster.com actually keeps their promise. The only question is for how long.
I have used it for two weeks and it works fine.
Dial with your keyboard, hit ENTER or double-click your contact in your contact list and it starts dialling.

You need:
1. Broadband connection (I have 512 kB ADSL)
2. Headset with a microphone or a micrphone and a loudspeaker.
3. You must pay 1 Euro once or you can pay 10 Euro into your account for calls outside the free area. For trying you get 1 minute without paying the 1 Euro.

You can call
ANY LANDLINE PHONE IN
(and from):
---------------------
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

For other countries and mobile phones, see their rates list:
http://www.voipbuster.com/en/rates.html
(e.g. Russia, New Zealand ... 1.1 eurocent/min).

It has the same speaking quality as SKYPE and SKYPE OUT (the latter for regular phones anywhere in the world @ EUR 0,017.../min).

The mystery is how Voipmaster finances it all. Clues are welcome.

One thing is for sure:
These two techniques will revolutionize phoning. Now outsourcers could do the necessay conversation research wihout their accountants having to moan about high telephone costs.

Happy calling

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
MatsWiman@tele2.se

[Edited at 2005-08-28 13:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:49
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Thank you for the hint Aug 27, 2005

Mats Wiman wrote:

This is beta testing, they get testers for free, and you get the calls for free. Fair deal.

Thank you for the hint, I'll install it right away

-jr

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Their rates to mobile phones are high Aug 27, 2005

I haven't tried any of these services yet. But when looking at the rates for calling mobile numbers I notice that the rates are way above regular rates (Finland 16 eurocents, normal rate is 6.9 cents). So that's where the money comes from. Probably the same applies for calls outside the free zone.
Mats, one question: do you use a headphone with built-in mike? Do you plug it instead of the normal loudspeakers/microphone or how?
Regards
Heinrich

Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 27, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Mats, one question: do you use a headphone with built-in mike? Do you plug it instead of the normal loudspeakers/microphone or how?

Yes, I have to pull the green and light red plug out a little for my loudspeakers to work.
I have the contacts at the front of my notebook so it's easy.
For a desktop user with contacts at the back of the computer a switch must be used. Ask your dealer.

MW

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Investment Aug 27, 2005

Mats Wiman wrote:

I would like to add that the plan is probably typical Internet business plan - you offer a system for free as long as it becomes standard or at least very popular. Then you add the fees, which can be quite reasonable due to huge volumes and you start making money.

-jr

Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Or starting to let advertisers pay the way Aug 27, 2005

Jussi Rosti wrote: I would like to add that the plan is probably typical Internet business plan - you offer a system for free as long as it becomes standard or at least very popular. Then you add the fees, which can be quite reasonable due to huge volumes and you start making money.

Probably - or starting to let advertisers pay the way

[Edited at 2005-08-27 09:36]

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
microphone headsets for VoIP Aug 27, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Mats Wiman wrote:
Yes, I have to pull the green and light red plug out a little for my loudspeakers to work.
I have the contacts at the front of my notebook so it's easy.
For a desktop user with contacts at the back of the computer a switch must be used. Ask your dealer.

I've been using Voice Over IP systems (Skype, Yahoo, MSN) for about a year and a half now for the majority of my business. Just make sure you get a decent microphone headset. I now see them at local large supermarkets with several brands and models. I recall that there have been discussions on Proz in the past on which brands and models of microphone-headsets to buy.

As for the plug-ins, for both laptops and desktop towers, the plug-ins are usually mini-jacks. It is possible to also buy a set of mini-jack extension cords that you can run from the back of your computer up to a place on the desktop where you can plug in the headset jacks or the external speaker jacks. The same can be done for USB ports. I run a USB extension cable from the back of my desktop up to the desk. And there I just plug in whichever device I want when needed. It is of course possible to buy multi-USB hubs, but they are often only compatible with more recent systems (I avoid it with my Windows 98 system, but do use such hubs for the hardware running Win 2000 and Win XP).

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

xxxPuicz  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
Free calls Aug 27, 2005

Thanks for the info Mats but I have been unable to download the Voipbuster. I keep getting timed out.
Furthermore, I see that they are limiting free calls to one minute. Not much use as most international calls cost very little nowadays.
The Voipbuster people seem to be a bit nervous over their initiative!
Translators - and other people - living in France are now able to subscribe with a company like Noos, which offers a competitive package that includes unlimited calls to any EU country.
Not bad for a start....

[Edited at 2005-08-27 19:25]

[Edited at 2005-08-27 19:25]

Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
1 Euro once = 21 countries @ 0 cents/minute Aug 27, 2005

Mike Parsley wrote: I see that they are limiting free calls to one minute. Not much use as most international calls cost very little nowadays.

Please see above:
"3. You must pay 1 Euro once or you can pay 10 Euro into your account for calls outside the free area. For trying you get 1 minute without paying the 1 Euro."

Not much use as most international calls cost very little nowadays.

Well, the best I get is 3,5 cents a minute, so 0,00 cents is quite an improvement.

MW

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Another operator for 0 cents to some mobile phones as well Aug 28, 2005

Hi, I just received this from a friend who apparently has used it. I haven't yet. It looks very interesting indeed, many countries for 0 cents the minute, including mobile phones.

Here's the link:

http://www.remisetel.fr/index2.php

Gayle

I just realized that this probably is only good for calls originating in France. Sorry.

[Edited at 2005-08-28 07:42]

xxxPuicz  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
Doesn't download Aug 28, 2005

Thanks for your comments Mats. Meanwhile I can't download the VoipBlaster. Whether I use Internet Explorer (timed out) or Mozilla Firefox (and get the message, "The Document Contains No Data"), it amounts to the same thing.
Maybe I should change my Internet settings? If so, has anyone any suggestions?

Laure Trads  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
where is the discussion on microphones and headsets Aug 28, 2005

Jeff Allen wrote:

I recall that there have been discussions on Proz in the past on which brands and models of microphone-headsets to buy.

Hi Jeff,

I did a search in the forums, but could not find these discussions. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Laure

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It seems to work Aug 28, 2005

I loaded the VoipBuster and installed it. Furthermore I bought a headset for 19.90 euro and it seems to work. Alas, I know nobody to call for a test, all people use mobiles now. But my wife will have use for it and try it out. Buy the way, my bill for the phonecalls during the 3 months since May amounts to 26 euro, mostly calls on the way and textmessages. So there is not much to save for me, but of course things are different with phone-freaks.
At least the new headset works fine with my mp3-collection.

Thanks for the advice, Mats!

Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
You can all call me! Aug 28, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote: Alas, I know nobody to call for a test, all people use mobiles now.

You have at least me to call: 004661254112 (see my first posting)

MW

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Poor quality at the reciever's site Aug 29, 2005

This does not work apparently. I hear the reciever's voice well, but he/she not mine, though my microphone is put to full strength in the multimedia settings. Perhaps I should try a laptop.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Call regular phones in 21 countries @ ZERO cents/minute

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs