Mobile menu

How to charge for a faxed forms (certificates)
Thread poster: Anil Goyal

Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:14
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 29, 2002

I recently got a job from one of my regular clients. It was a Birth Certificate which was sent to me by fax. The printed format was already in Target language while the entries on that were in Source language. In all there were about 500 words, 400 words already in Target Language and only 100 words in Source Language. My questions are:

1) In what format I should send the translation? Should I type all the words (Target+ translated Source) and send the document?

2) Do I write by hand the translation on that document wherever it appears and fax that back?

3) Do I translate and type only translated words and somehow identify which text is for which source string?

3) How do I charge in either cases? Ofcourse, in this case minimum charges were applicable, but one can get a larger projects. Should I count all the words? Only translated words?

Ofcourse, best way is to ask the client and in my case they opted (2), write and fax, but I am interested in knowing how others are doing.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Direct link Reply with quote

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
French to English
Billing Jun 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-29 12:34, abhisys wrote:

I recently got a job from one of my regular clients. It was a Birth Certificate which was sent to me by fax. The printed format was already in Target language while the entries on that were in Source language. In all there were about 500 words, 400 words already in Target Language and only 100 words in Source Language. My questions are:

1) In what format I should send the translation? Should I type all the words (Target+ translated Source) and send the document?

2) Do I write by hand the translation on that document wherever it appears and fax that back?

3) Do I translate and type only translated words and somehow identify which text is for which source string?

3) How do I charge in either cases? Ofcourse, in this case minimum charges were applicable, but one can get a larger projects. Should I count all the words? Only translated words?

Ofcourse, best way is to ask the client and in my case they opted (2), write and fax, but I am interested in knowing how others are doing.

Thanks for any suggestion.

1. The format of the document has to be determined with your client. Usually they want an electronic file.

2. I would avoid doing this.

3. Usually a minimum charge is the way to go for documents of this type. As for the headings and sections already in the target language, I type them out. Your minimum rate should be high enough to cover all costs.

Whenever there is text in the target language already in the faxed document and the client wants it included, I type it out and charge per hour.

Good luck,

Erika

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for a faxed forms (certificates)

Advanced search

Translation news

Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs