Mobile menu

It had to happen... An agency is late paying
Thread poster: xxxPFB
xxxPFB  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
English to French
+ ...
Sep 2, 2005

This is the first time it's happened to me, although it may sound familiar to too many of you.

An agency is already 2 weeks late paying work that I sent back on time. I am not aware that the agency disapproved of my work - they certainly haven't told me anything.

I sent an email at the end of the 1st week, and was told they'd look into the matter. This is now the 2nd week and still no effective reply.

Is it too early to worry? Does anyone have any useful suggestion as to what my next step should be?

Let me add this agency has got a good record on the Blue Board.

Many thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
send a reminder in a week Sep 2, 2005

Hi! But it helps, sometimes these agencies get too many mails and don´t bother to read properly and answer them. But they certainly read a BB entry - great agency and great and very interesting projects too, but the payment is overdue though - or the similar. Not actually negatively expressed. But it would certainly help. Brandis

Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:04
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It happened to me too Sep 2, 2005

My very first freelance job for an agency ended up being done free of charge. They didn't pay when they said they would, I sent them a number of reminders, and I finally got a reply saying the cheque was in the post. Well they must have sent it by interstellar post and it's got lost somewhere around Jupiter, because nine months later I'm still waiting! If I lived closer I'd call in personally and confront them, but I'm not sure it's worth a six-hour round trip to recoup 100 euros. You live and learn...

xxxFullCircle
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Give them a call Sep 3, 2005

If they do not answer to emails, I always give them a call. That gives a pretty clear indication of wha's going on, in my opinion. In most cases, one call is enough to clear things up. I.e. from my experience.

If they do not want to talk to me (and you'll soon enough if they do), I start sending them official reminders, one every week, stating when payment should be in. After three such reminders, I tell them that their lack of professionalism is making me feel bad and that if they are not going to pay by such and such date, I will start collection proceedings and (if they're listed on Proz and the like) report them for late payment. Generally speaking that does the trick.

Good luck
Marion

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Even if they are not yet listed at ProZ Sep 3, 2005

Marion Kriele wrote:

After three such reminders, I tell them that their lack of professionalism is making me feel bad and that if they are not going to pay by such and such date, I will start collection proceedings and (if they're listed on Proz and the like) report them for late payment. Generally speaking that does the trick.

Good luck
Marion

If the co. is not registered at ProZ, you can still enter the co. into the BB!

Anyway, I generally say, in my last reminder, that, in case of non-payment, I am going to take legal action and report the non-payment of the company on all translators' websites known to me.

The co. doesn't know how many or which translators' websites I know of, so they cannot simply discard this "threat" saying to themselves "We'll just use this or that translators' website in the future in stead then."

This has worked for me but once, where the co. in question thought it worth while to be registered as non-payers for around 75 Euros, so I think they simply didn't care one way or the other. Hopefully, there are only few of those!

Good luck collecting your money.

[Edited at 2005-09-03 13:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It had to happen... An agency is late paying

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs