Sep 7, 2005

[Edited at 2005-09-07 19:23]

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 19:57
English to Danish
Have you checked the BlueBoard about this co.? Sep 7, 2005

In these forums, one usually doesn't name co. names (I guess it's a forum rule).

You should always check the BlueBoard before taking on an assignment from a co. you don't know to be a good payer.

Have a look at this: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/3629

I hope they don't owe you too much money.

Please also note that you should contact the moderator (say
... See more
In these forums, one usually doesn't name co. names (I guess it's a forum rule).

You should always check the BlueBoard before taking on an assignment from a co. you don't know to be a good payer.

Please also note that you should contact the moderator (says so at the top of the BB entry) in case of payment problems. Do so!!! The co. may soon been banned from posting jobs on this site.

[Edited at 2005-09-07 19:14]

Sorry - it's the coordinators you need to contact, not moderators.

[Edited at 2005-09-07 19:15]
Collapse

Natalia Petrosyan
Natalia Petrosyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 7, 2005

PCovs wrote:

Please also note that you should contact the moderator (says so at the top of the BB entry) in case of payment problems. Do so!!! The co. may soon been banned from posting jobs on this site.

[Edited at 2005-09-07 19:14]

Sorry - it's the coordinators you need to contact, not moderators.

[Edited at 2005-09-07 19:15]

Thank you for the reply. I removed my topic from forum since I was not aware that I cannot name co. names here.

They owe me a lot of money but I checked BB entry too late.

Thank you once again.

Akorbi
Akorbi
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2008)
Know your audience Sep 8, 2005

I own an agency but I would like to share some secrets with you:

- I only would do business with reputed companies!! People with good websites and good information on Google by third parties would be a good starting point. If no one knows the business, I would not do business with them.

- Do you know if in the document you translated, had the name of some company specifically? By looking at the subject and the end customer, you can inform the end customer that the comp
... See more

- I only would do business with reputed companies!! People with good websites and good information on Google by third parties would be a good starting point. If no one knows the business, I would not do business with them.

- Do you know if in the document you translated, had the name of some company specifically? By looking at the subject and the end customer, you can inform the end customer that the company did not pay you. And therefore, the translation of that content is illegal because it belongs to you!! That no one can use that content until they pay you. I am sure that if you tell them that you will go to the end customer, they will have more respect for your work. At least, it worked for me while recovering a significant amount of money by another company similar to the one that you are dealing with. I went directly to their customer and I recovered the money.

- Different cultures have different ethics and values.

Please remember this; the matter is not to do the job. The matter is to get paid!!

Best luck and do not let them take your money away! It is your work. Even if they are in another continent.
Collapse

sonja29 (X)
sonja29 (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works! Sep 8, 2005

[quote]Claudia Mirza Mirza wrote:

By looking at the subject and the end customer, you can inform the end customer that the company did not pay you. And therefore, the translation of that content is illegal because it belongs to you!! That no one can use that content until they pay you.[quote]

Claudia, I couldn't agree more! I recently faced a similar situation and had to resort to informing the end customer. It worked like a dream! I got paid, and made a mental note not to work for the fraudulent agency again.

Natalia Petrosyan
Natalia Petrosyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice, I hope they'll pay since they called me, probably BB entry worked Sep 8, 2005

[quote]sonja29 wrote:

[quote]Claudia Mirza Mirza wrote:

By looking at the subject and the end customer, you can inform the end customer that the company did not pay you. And therefore, the translation of that content is illegal because it belongs to you!! That no one can use that content until they pay you.

Claudia, I couldn't agree more! I recently faced a similar situation and had to resort to informing the end customer. It worked like a dream! I got paid, and made a mental note not to work for the fraudulent agency again.

Manuela Ramalho (X)
Manuela Ramalho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
And what if the non-payer is the end custommer? Oct 5, 2005

It just happened to me, that a custommer didn't pay a translation I did, and this custommer was not an agency, but the end-custommer itself. Do you have an idea, of what could be done in these cases?

Greetings,

Manuela

Claudia Mirza Mirza wrote:

- Do you know if in the document you translated, had the name of some company specifically? By looking at the subject and the end customer, you can inform the end customer that the company did not pay you. And therefore, the translation of that content is illegal because it belongs to you!! That no one can use that content until they pay you. I am sure that if you tell them that you will go to the end customer, they will have more respect for your work. At least, it worked for me while recovering a significant amount of money by another company similar to the one that you are dealing with. I went directly to their customer and I recovered the money.

- Different cultures have different ethics and values.

Please remember this; the matter is not to do the job. The matter is to get paid!!

Best luck and do not let them take your money away! It is your work. Even if they are in another continent.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:57
English to French
+ ...
Manuela, it's not your problem May 12, 2006

Your contract is between you and the agency, and it does not have anything to do with THEIR client.

In other words, the agency agreed on the payment terms and they have to pay, even if their client did not.

If you had a phone account under your name and you were late on paying it, would you tell the phone company that you missed work and got less pay, so you can't pay the phone? They would laugh at you - and cut your line!

Always remember that the agency is
... See more
Your contract is between you and the agency, and it does not have anything to do with THEIR client.

In other words, the agency agreed on the payment terms and they have to pay, even if their client did not.

If you had a phone account under your name and you were late on paying it, would you tell the phone company that you missed work and got less pay, so you can't pay the phone? They would laugh at you - and cut your line!

Always remember that the agency is bound by contract to pay you, and the contracts they have with third parties don't bind YOU in any way.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-paying agency

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »