Mobile menu

real test or free ride from Belarus?
Thread poster: xxxdf49f
xxxdf49f
France
Local time: 18:14
Sep 11, 2005

Hi
I received this, sent to my Proz e-mail address from a "person/agency"(?) whose web site lists "offices" in Belarus and in Springfield Mo/US. (most likely sent also to a number of "undisclosed recipients")

[Dear colleagues,
We are being requested to do news similar to the one in the attachment every business day
excluding Saturdays and Sundays.
The original will be received from 9.00 am through 12.00 am GMT+2 and will need to be returned proofread and spellchecked within one hour or sooner.
This is an ongoing project and we will want you be available every day.
The client wishes to choose between several samples. Please send your translation of the attached file into French.]

The "attached file" is a full-length article (354 words)...

Maybe I'm overly suscipious or cynical, but it seems that it would be sooooo easy to get one free article a day, just by getting back a steady flow of daily "tests" to satisfy the end client...

Needless to say, I of course have no intention of working with this person!

Regards - dominique

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 09:14
English to French
+ ...
Benefit of the doubt Sep 11, 2005

Hi Dominique

Since they have offices in Springfield, MO, if you send me the details by email, I'll be glad to check with the regional chamber of commerce and the secretary of state if they're legit.

Sarah, your friendly contact in MO

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I never translate over 250 words as a test for free Sep 11, 2005

df49f wrote:

Maybe I'm overly suscipious or cynical, but it seems that it would be sooooo easy to get one free article a day, just by getting back a steady flow of daily "tests" to satisfy the end client...

Regards - dominique

As a general rule, I never translate more than 250 words for free as a test.

In your case, I would refuse to do a test like this, simply because it's an entire article, and I would explain this to the potential client.

You could suggest that you do a sample translation of an article published earlier.

Just my two cents. ;o)

xxxdf49f
France
TOPIC STARTER
just posted as a warning... Sep 11, 2005

PCovs wrote:
df49f wrote:
Regards - dominique

As a general rule, I never translate more than 250 words for free as a test.
In your case, I would refuse to do a test like this, simply because it's an entire article, and I would explain this to the potential client.
You could suggest that you do a sample translation of an article published earlier.

Don't worry: I had absolutely NO intention whatsoever of responding or having anything to do with this person!! (have plenty of work and not looking for more - plus I'm the one who lays down the rules with outsourcers, not the other way round!!

I just posted this as a warning, since this guy most likely sent this to several others - Though of course, I may be wrong and this offer might be fair and honest...

dominique

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
I wouldn't do it, either, Sep 11, 2005

not because I am so strict on the word count - I have drawn the line at 300, but would not say no to a test only because it was 320 words. But as all the posters already have indicated, it shouldn't be a complete text, and that is the real problem with the offer you received. PCovs' is a good idea though, why did they not send a whole text from the archive, then?

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 19:14
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Never accept such offers! Sep 12, 2005

This is from my personal experience!

I received a similar offer when I first joined proz. And not knowing how things are usually going on, I accepted it. It was an Ar>Eng job. The outsourcer loaded me with articles daily asking for them back within the same day. I translated around 2000-3000 word per day for 42 days ... And guess what: I NEVER GOT PAID!

It was my mistake from the beginning, so I could really do nothing about it. I didn't even know that I could report that person to proz to get her banned for example. Once I claimed my payment (which was supposed to be a monthly payment to be sent into my paypal account), I received neither money nor work!

Ever since, I insist on receiving one third of my payment in advance if the job exceeds 5000 words.

My advice: Never accept a job you're in doubt with!

Muriel Louchart
France
English to French
I have worked with the poster of the job Sep 12, 2005

Hi everyone,

I understand your questions and reactions but... I can tell you that the job poster is real and reliable.

I have been working for them for one year now and always had been paid on time via Paypal.

They are currently looking for more Financial English French translators for the FOREX website.

It is indeed true that the article submitted as a test is too long (I also received it directly from the client). It is impossible for me to provide such a quick turnaround on the financial topic.

But be sure Yaroslav is a nice and friendly person to work with.

I hope now you feel reassured.

Muriel

xxxdf49f
France
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for feedback Sep 12, 2005

Muriel Brochet wrote:

...I hope now you feel reassured.

Muriel

Thanks for the feedback, Muriel. We sometimes end up being overly suspicious and nervous where there might be no reason to be!
...though I still wouldn't want to take on this type of job without a retainer up front (and besides, am too expensive for these agencies anyway! )
cordialement - dominique

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I know this agency Sep 13, 2005

I've been working for them for nearly a year now. Trustworthy and responsive. Excellent communication, payment always on time.

[Edited at 2005-09-13 10:21]

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Don't you think Sep 13, 2005

it is absolutely inappropriate to make such a statement without knowing anything at all, the more when you claim "20 years of experience" in your profile?

Steffen

df49f wrote:

Needless to say, I of course have no intention of working with this person!

Regards - dominique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

real test or free ride from Belarus?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs