Mobile menu

Do you accept the client's Trados analysis...
Thread poster: PCovs

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2005

...or do you make your own analysis and invoice according to that one?

Right now I'm having a slight debate with a client regarding word counts.
My client has counted xx fuzzy matches and yy no matches.

I then do an analysis (we should both identical updated TMs since this is an ongoing project), and I come up with zz fuzzy matches and ww no matches.

Do you ever experience this?

Do you know the reason for this discrepancy?

And do you accept your client's word count with/without checking?

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Penalties Sep 13, 2005

Could be different penalty settings in Workbench.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Then it is better to use the client´s TM Sep 13, 2005

PCovs wrote:

...or do you make your own analysis and invoice according to that one?

Right now I'm having a slight debate with a client regarding word counts.
My client has counted xx fuzzy matches and yy no matches.

I then do an analysis (we should both identical updated TMs since this is an ongoing project), and I come up with zz fuzzy matches and ww no matches.

Do you ever experience this?

And do you accept your client's word count with/without checking?
this would give you same matching, instead of using your own, as the basis for processing and invoicing. Best Brandis

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client's TM gives an ever higher word count... Sep 13, 2005

...than both my original analysis and the client's own original analysis, so I'm rather confused.

I have thought about the penalties settings, as suggested, so perhaps I should ask for the client's penalties settings, and then this would perhaps take care of any discrepancy.
I just thought that this would be inherent in the TM they send me?

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Maybe different versions? Sep 13, 2005

If you don't use exactly the same Trados version, same source files, and same TM, you may get different word counts.
PCovs wrote:
I have thought about the penalties settings, as suggested, so perhaps I should ask for the client's penalties settings, and then this would perhaps take care of any discrepancy.

Of course, the penalties settings should be the default ones. They are not contained in the exported TM.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Segmentation rules Sep 13, 2005

may also affect the result.
For big projects, I very rarely get the exact same analysis as the customer with allegedly identical texts and TM. But usually the deviation is so small (whether in my favour or the customer's) in terms of invoice total that it is not worth wasting time on the issue.
Of course, I do fight when the discrepancy is significant and against me...
For instance, I often notice that a lot of "No matches" sneak into the 50-74% bracket, but in my case it doesn't matter since I charge the same. In such cases, to draw a neat line between "No matches" and all fuzzies may lead to a significant difference in the invoice total indeed.
Of course, I do fight when the discrepancy is significant and against me...

Anyway, I invoice according the customer's figures, as usually required when a proper PO is issued.

Good luck,
Philippe

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Trados analysis Sep 13, 2005

I believe to be in good standing with your client that you refrain from discussion, if the difference is less than 30 words. You can always bill for a lesser amount, but you will need proof for a difference of a larger amount. If there is a huge discrepancy, then I suggest you send the client your analysis as an attachment in an e-mail as basis for discussion, and also give the client the number of your Trados version. Of course, if you have accepted the contract based on the client's word count, you might be stuck with his/her word count.

I have a client, who constantly was 15-25% lower in word count when offering a job, and I then one day accepted the client's word count with my final word count 30% higher than the clients. I informed the client that since I had accepted to translate xxx number of words, I would return xxx number of words, and if he/she wanted the whole translation, then I needed a new PO for the full YYY word count.

I still have that client. I now give the client my word count, and the client sends a PO based on that count (of course after re-checking the count).

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Harry_b is very right Sep 13, 2005

PCovs wrote:

...than both my original analysis and the client's own original analysis, so I'm rather confused.

So is Hynek, In that case you would information on penalties and further filters pertaining to placeables etc., Brandis

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
And it is ALWAYS worth to mention.. Sep 13, 2005

Case a)
The client tells you a higher word count than yours.

Then you will inform him, that according to your word count, he won't have to pay as much as he thought, won't you

Case b)
The client tells you a lower word count than yours.

I had this case several times. I sent the client my analysis and he was always grateful, because this way he could charge the endclient higher.

[Edited at 2005-09-13 18:02]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually I have done so. Sep 13, 2005

Harry_B wrote:

Case a)
The client tells you a higher word count than yours.

Then you will inform him, that according to your word count, he won't have to pay as much as he thought, won't you

Case b)
The client tells you a lower word count than yours.

I had this case several times. I sent the client my analysis and he was always grateful, because this way he could charge the endclient higher.

[Edited at 2005-09-13 18:02]

I have actually informed my client that I came up with a lower word count and therefore I thought it only fair that he/she should only pay for this.

As for the penalties, the TM I have received is a full one (5 files - Trados 6.5) and not an exported TM, so I thought settings followed, but obviously I was wrong.

So this also puts an end to informing a client that his/her word count is too high ;o)

And for Blangsted: This was really what I was after. Naturally I informed the client a.s.a.p. I know from experience that I must always check any documents thoroughly before accepting a job.

And regarding the size of the discrepancy, we totally agree that one should not discuss lesser discrepancies. In this case, however, it's a lot of words we're talking about, and I thought it worthwhile to ask my client about it.

At the moment my client is trying to obtain the penalty settings from his client, and then we'll see.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Settings exchange made easy Sep 14, 2005

As for the reasons of this discrepancy, pretty much everything has been said by now; major factors being non-identical TMs, non-identical Trados version (and build number!) and, of course, differing penalties. The default for the Trados penalties is 1-2-2-3-15, by the way, and in most cases these settings are quite alright.

I think it's only fair if the freelancer double-checks any TM analysis results he/she receives from the outsourcer - after all, we're human, too, and may thus make mistakes.

As for the penalties, the TM I have received is a full one (5 files - Trados 6.5) and not an exported TM, so I thought settings followed, but obviously I was wrong.

Yep. Trados memories contain only those settings (segmentation, user access rights etc.) that are specific to them (reachable via the File - Setup dialog). On the other hand, things like penalties, TM update settings, cleanup settings etc. are global and thus valid for all TMs you open or create in Workbench.

There is a widely unknown feature in Workbench that allows users to save their global settings to a file and pass them to someone else, enabling that someone to load those settings on another computer.

To do this, press F8 to save the settings and Shift-F8 to load them. Please note that:
1. no translation memory must be currently open while you save or load and
2. the User ID setting is saved/loaded, too. You will want to change that via "Settings" - "User ID..." after loading the settings file.

HTH,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you accept the client's Trados analysis...

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs