Mobile menu

Are my rates without taxes?
Thread poster: Translator98
Local time: 11:30
Dutch to Danish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2005

Hi there,
I'm just starting out as a freelancer and would like to know if the agencies have to pay the taxes on top of my normal rates? I live and work in The Netherlands. How do I put this on my invoice?

Direct link Reply with quote

Timothy Barton
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Why not ask in the Dutch forum... Sep 14, 2005

That way people will be able to tell you the correct VAT rate to add on your bills and any other taxes (probably income tax).

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:30
Latvian to English
+ ...
What sort of taxes? Sep 14, 2005

When you say 'taxes', do you mean VAT, income tax or corporation tax?

As far as I know, no VAT is applied for translation services performed between two Member States. Income tax cannot be applied to an invoice, as I take it that you are not an employee of the agency, but an independent service provider (either self-employed or operating as a company).

In a nutshell, you, and you alone, are responsible for your own taxes and I suggest that the first thing you do (if you haven't already done so) is to register with your local tax office.

[Edited at 2005-09-14 16:41]

Agnieszka Hayward
German to Polish
+ ...
Dutch forums & Tax Office Sep 14, 2005

why not ask other Prozarians from the Netherlands and/ or your local Tax Office?

IMHO you should add the VAT (at your local rate) on top of your rate, if billing a client domestically.

If you send an invoice to a client in another EU country, they pay the VAT at THEIR local rate.

AFAIK there is no VAT added on either end when billing clients from outside the EU.

Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
VAT (BTW) on top of rate Sep 15, 2005

I always charge VAT (called BTW in the Netherlands) on top of my rate. In some cases you don't have to charge BTW. If in doubt, I call my "tax adviser" (?) (belastingadviseur) and she tells me which rules apply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are my rates without taxes?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs