Thread poster: Constance Mannshardt

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:20
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 14, 2005

A client asked me to preoofread a text, it is really a small job. He wants to pay me for worked hours. How much would cost an hour - what is usual? I some times charge miminum price, but never charged hour price!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:20
English to German
+ ...
How much do you need/expect to charge? Sep 14, 2005

Hi Constance,
I guess the person best placed to answer your question is - you.

Take your full costs of providing the service (fixed costs, communication and other variable costs, depreciation/amortisation costs (hardware, software, other equipment), reserves, plus your expected net income - per month or per year. Divide this by the number of hours you expect to work each month/year, and you have your target price.

Best regards,
Ralf

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:20
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Look around. Sep 14, 2005

Browse among your peers here on ProZ and se how much they charge per hour. Then go for an average and adopt to your country.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:20
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
An easier suggestion Sep 14, 2005

Hi Constance,

I think I have an easier suggestion: figure out how many words you usually translate in one hour, based on an average job (not too technical), multiply that by your per word rate and that gives you an idea. Also check out what colleagues, particularly those in your country, charge - some people mention that in their proZ profiles. Put yourself in the client's place: how much would you be willing to pay? I think it is important to consider what is reasonable and what the market will bear.

Tina

nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
How about this? Sep 15, 2005

To see what your colleagues charge, go to to Jobs in theProZ.com task bar (on top,) click Jobs, then rates and enter your language pair. You can now see what your colleagues charge per word and per hour.

This can be used as a good guideline of how much to charge.

Good luck!
Kerstin

[Edited at 2005-09-15 14:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much charge for an hour /work?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs