Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2005

I have already given a direct client a (hourly) rate for working for them as a home-worker.

They have now come back to me saying that for data security, they want the work to be done by me on their premises, for a period of up to 6 months. And they are asking what hourly rate I am willing to accept.

I am not sure what to say to them. I have worked onsite before, but for much shorter times and where my extra living expenses etc. were met by the client on top of my hourly
... See more
I have already given a direct client a (hourly) rate for working for them as a home-worker.

They have now come back to me saying that for data security, they want the work to be done by me on their premises, for a period of up to 6 months. And they are asking what hourly rate I am willing to accept.

I am not sure what to say to them. I have worked onsite before, but for much shorter times and where my extra living expenses etc. were met by the client on top of my hourly/daily rates.

As a rule, what sort of mark up or down should I offer them on the rates I already quoted them as a home-based worker?

Or should I try and ask them for the same rate we agreed on, and they meet my expenses (after all 6 months isn't long enough to make it a family move etc.).

Any suggestions welcome.
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:33
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
6 months full-time? Sep 16, 2005

Hi Christopher,
there is something unclear: do they want you to work for them full-time for 6 months in their office? This would mean for you endangering the relationship with all your other customers since you won't be able to work for anyone else for 6 months. This mean that you might need to rebuild contacts after these 6 months. This is something to take into account. I would accept a full-time job in the client's office only if he paid a good salary for 6 months and an additional amou
... See more
Hi Christopher,
there is something unclear: do they want you to work for them full-time for 6 months in their office? This would mean for you endangering the relationship with all your other customers since you won't be able to work for anyone else for 6 months. This mean that you might need to rebuild contacts after these 6 months. This is something to take into account. I would accept a full-time job in the client's office only if he paid a good salary for 6 months and an additional amount to cover at least 3 months afterwards.
It's a typical situation in which they might think they do you a favor giving you a full-time job for 6 months while in fact they compromise your ability to work with different clients (something crucial in our profession, a lesson I personally learnt the hard way).
Laura
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An area I would like to work in. Sep 16, 2005

In answer to your question, yes it would be pretty much full time.

In fact, the only reason I am considering this is that it's an area of work I would quite like to move into full time.

A full time salary with the responsibilities involved and considering the geographical location would be about € 80,000 before tax etc. But obviously, you wouldn't normally be made redundant after 6 months in most situations.

I am not sure whether its best to keep my hourl
... See more
In answer to your question, yes it would be pretty much full time.

In fact, the only reason I am considering this is that it's an area of work I would quite like to move into full time.

A full time salary with the responsibilities involved and considering the geographical location would be about € 80,000 before tax etc. But obviously, you wouldn't normally be made redundant after 6 months in most situations.

I am not sure whether its best to keep my hourly rate and ask them for all expenses. Or asking for € 80,000 p.a. pro-rata plus a severance contribution.

Suggestions?
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The American Medical Writers Association ... Sep 17, 2005

.. have a page describing how to calculate the difference and there aseems to be quite a hike up from the remote rate to the on-site rate. But if people are really asking that then....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote and in-house rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »