Mobile menu

How much should I charge for writing articles on medical and scientific translation?
Thread poster: paula13

paula13  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:29
Member (2005)
Sep 18, 2005

Hi everyone,
One of my clients has just asked me to write articles on medical and scientific translation for their webpage. They’d like me to write as much as I want on a number of given topics and there are no deadlines. So I’d have the liberty of putting off an article if I’m in the middle of translating something. They'd like to know my rates for writing, but I've never charged for my writing before so I have no clue. Any ideas about how much I should charge for something like this? I’d love to hear from all you translators/writers. I could really use any advice you might have or experiences you'd like to share.
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:29
German to English
A hard-earned luxury. Sep 18, 2005

Can they really take anything you write for them? Great if they can, because then you can justify charging by the hour for research, writing, correction and so on. Of course, only you (and maybe your accountant) can possibly know what your hourly rate needs to be taking all things into account. Well done for finding this client and keep it up!
DB

Argentina
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
What do you mean? Sep 18, 2005

Daniel Bird wrote:

Can they really take anything you write for them? Great if they can, because then you can justify charging by the hour for research, writing, correction and so on.
DB

Sorry Daniel, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. What did you mean by "can they really take anything you write for them?" Are you referring to intellectual property? If so, I was kind of curios about that. Is it time I start registering what I write?
I didn't know if I should charge by the hour or not. But now that you mention it, it kind of makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A fixed rate per article Sep 19, 2005

Newspapers and magazines usually pay to their contributors a certain amount of money for each written article. They establish the guidelines (such lenght, based on number of words) and fix a rate accorging to your expertise. From one to four pages, there is one rate; double it if the article is 8 pages.

Regards,

Clarisa

xxxElena Sgarbo  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
A fixed rate per article II Sep 19, 2005

I agree with Clarisa in that contributors are usually paid a certain amount per article. For each article or topic there are in turn certain parameters (established by the editor). The most common in the US is probably the total number of words. Number of pages is also common; in this case, it needs to be specified if tables, figures, and references are considered separate for the page count.

I hope Paula that once you start writing articles on medical translation, you'll consider submitting one for Caduceus, ATA's medical newsletter

Saludos,

Elena
Caduceus Asst. Editor

[Edited at 2005-09-19 01:57]

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Since you will be doing journalistic work, Sep 19, 2005

I suggest you charge like a journalist. If you know any freelance journalists in your area ask them. Or check with your national organization of journalists. I think every country has one such organization and they often publish guidelines for what they think journalists should be paid.

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:29
German to English
Just to clear that up... Sep 19, 2005

Daniel Bird wrote:

Can they really take anything you write for them? Great if they can, because then you can justify charging by the hour for research, writing, correction and so on.
DB

paula arturo wrote: What did you mean by "can they really take anything you write for them?" Are you referring to intellectual property? If so, I was kind of curios about that. Is it time I start registering what I write?

Hi Paula
I was really thinking purely about financial reward for honest toil, and whether the customer is willing to publish everything you produce, without question so to speak. No doubt there are intellectual property issues, and no doubt there are ProZers out there better qualified than this one to comment on this aspect.
Imagine you're interviewing for any regular job - one part of the discussion would surely cover terms and conditions, so treat this the same way and talk to the client about copyright etc as early as possible,
DB

Argentina
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
I get it now.. thanks Daniel Sep 19, 2005

Daniel Bird wrote:

Daniel Bird wrote:

DB

paula arturo wrote: What did you mean by "can they really take anything you write for them?" Are you referring to intellectual property? If so, I was kind of curios about that. Is it time I start registering what I write?

Hi Paula
I was really thinking purely about financial reward for honest toil, and whether the customer is willing to publish everything you produce, without question so to speak. No doubt there are intellectual property issues, and no doubt there are ProZers out there better qualified than this one to comment on this aspect.
Imagine you're interviewing for any regular job - one part of the discussion would surely cover terms and conditions, so treat this the same way and talk to the client about copyright etc as early as possible,
DB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for writing articles on medical and scientific translation?

Advanced search

Translation news

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs