Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 21, 2005

Hello, dear ProZers.

I have a question specifically for British colleagues:

I need to know the rates for international bank wire transfers from the UK.

My problem is that, here in Panama, the only way I can receive money is either through a check or through a wire transfer. (I know, we're supposed to be an international banking center and we're waaay behind. No PayPal, no Moneybookers, no other form of e-money).

I did a job for a UK agency some months ago, and they sent me a check, but in British pounds, not dollars. So my bank charged me a fee for sending back the check and cashing it (I'm not exactly sure of the procedure), plus I had to wait more than a month for the funds to be available.

Now I'm thinking that maybe it's better to receive payment through a bank wire transfer instead of a check, but I have no idea if this would be more expensive, as opposed to being faster, of course.

I already asked my bank about their fee for receiving money and depositing it in my account. It's a fair amount. But I need to know how much will the UK bank(s) will charge the agency, which, in turn, will charge me (charge to recipient, I think it's called?).

Are wire bank transfer fees in the UK standard? Do they vary much?

Thanks a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Within the European Union... Sep 21, 2005

My bank charges me £20 everytime I transfer money to Spain and other European countries, I haven't got a clue about Panama but I guess much more than that.
Kind regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wire bank transfer fees from the UK to Panama

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs