Thread poster: Wilman

Wilman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2005

Dear All,

I have accepted an editing job and initially agreed to be paid x amount of project fee after taking a quick look of the two pages the client sent me. No PO has been signed yet. However, after doing a page, I found out that there was a lot more work involved than it appeared, i.e. data in the translation was either wrong or original data missing. The bottom line is, it takes me twice as long to do the work than I first expected. Would it be ethical/professional to re-negotiate the project fee with the client now since I have not started the project yet? If it's OK, what is the best approach to do this? I appreciate your input.

Direct link Reply with quote

Karine J.
Local time: 05:01
French to German
+ ...
in my opinion the best way is....... Sep 22, 2005

to be honest! I mean if the job does take much more time as agreed, I would tell that to the client and tell him -in a diplomatical way- that the fees agreed have to be revised for that reason.
I´m just wondering because no PO has been signed. If I were in your shoes, I would ask client for confirmation, asking him then to signed a PO with the rates you would apply for that job.
If he does not want.....it is then your decisison to either decline the job or not.

Hope you may handle successfull.

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
German to English
Don't delay Sep 22, 2005

Wilman - tell your owner to contact his client immediately to discuss the situation before doing any further work on the assignment. This will reflect well on your owner, not badly; most agencies will appreciate the fact that they are dealing with a professional, after all, if he is willing to go into this kind of detail over the contract, his work is likely to be of a similar standard. He can also judge the agency by their response; if they are reasonable, he might want to continue working for them in future.
It's a dog's life
DB

Wilman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Sep 22, 2005

Dear Karine and Daniel,

Thank you for you advice on the matter. I discussed the issue with the Project Manager as suggested. The Project Manager was very understanding and agreed to raise the project fee. Now I feel more comfortable doing this job. Thanks!

Wilman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to re-negotiate project fee

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs