Fee for re-use of translation?
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
Member (2004)
German to English
Sep 22, 2005

Some months ago I translated some German Lieder - the translations went on the CD inlay card. I've now been approached by someone who wants to reprint some of these translations in a concert program and is asking me what the re-use fee is.

I've never done anything in this field before and have no idea what an appropriate re-use fee would be. Can anyone advise? I can't say I feel particularly strongly about receiving anything - after all, I've had my fee for the work I did, which was the original translation - but I don't want to undermine people who rely on copyright fees for income and so I ought to conform to whatever is standard practice in the field, and would be grateful for information from anyone who knows what that is.

All this takes place in the UK, by the way.

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:57
English to Arabic
+ ...
Get legal advice Sep 22, 2005

Greetings.

That situation, as described, may involve some issues of copyright and intellectual property rights, especially since you produced and delivered the original translations on behalf of a paying customer.

Best approach is to seek professional legal advice.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Persian)
San Pedro,California, USA

#41698 (LSF)
Malaysia
Local time: 02:57
Japanese to English
+ ...
Some angles Sep 22, 2005

I don't suppose you would have the absolute say in the matter as your piece no matter how good, is based on the piece by the original author. So, without the consent of the original author or the copyright holder of the original version, I suppose it can't be reproduced unless the copyright holder waived all rights.

As for you version, if it is governed by translation contract with regard to ownnership, reproductions, etc, the contract applies. If not,whether what you had been paid covers all future uses may be open to debate.
For most translations, the fee received implicitly covers all future uses.
But for artistic publications, there may be loyalty-sharing arrangements made in advance, otherwise I suppose the implication may be an all-inclusive fee.

I'm not a lawyer. Just my opinion.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
French to English
Performing Rights Society Sep 22, 2005

I would guess they ought to know the full SP for a position such as yours - maybe have a gander at their website?

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free Publicity Sep 22, 2005

Why not offer to let them use your translations free of charge (for this one event) with the stipulation that they include your name and contact information (phone number/website) in the program? Who knows, maybe someone who attends the concert will contact you for more work or recommend you to a colleague.

Armorel Young wrote:

Some months ago I translated some German Lieder - the translations went on the CD inlay card. I've now been approached by someone who wants to reprint some of these translations in a concert program and is asking me what the re-use fee is.

I've never done anything in this field before and have no idea what an appropriate re-use fee would be. Can anyone advise? I can't say I feel particularly strongly about receiving anything - after all, I've had my fee for the work I did, which was the original translation - but I don't want to undermine people who rely on copyright fees for income and so I ought to conform to whatever is standard practice in the field, and would be grateful for information from anyone who knows what that is.

All this takes place in the UK, by the way.

John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:57
Member (2004)
Italian to English
good idea Sep 28, 2005

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Why not offer to let them use your translations free of charge (for this one event) with the stipulation that they include your name and contact information (phone number/website) in the program? Who knows, maybe someone who attends the concert will contact you for more work or recommend you to a colleague.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee for re-use of translation?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums