https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/37101-question_for_those_of_you_with_us_bank_accounts.html

Question for those of you with US Bank Accounts
Thread poster: IrinaGM
IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
English to Georgian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2005

Hi,

I have a bank account in US. The client is in Europe and is asking for an IBAN number and BIC swift code. US banks just have Bank account numbers and routing numbers. I told the client that my bank did not have IBAN number and BIC code but they still keep asking me for those. Could you please let me know what info you give to clients in Europe when they ask for Banking info? Any help is appreciated.

-Irina

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:37
Russian to English
+ ...
US BAnk Account Sep 24, 2005

Irina,

I just went through the recently. For U.S. transactions, your bank uses the router and your account number. For international transactions, it's a swift code plus your account number. You just need to ask your bank about their swift code. At least, that's what worked in my case.

IrinaGM
United States
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Sep 24, 2005

Thank you, Kurt. I just e-mailed my bank.

-Irina

Kurt Porter wrote:

Irina,

I just went through the recently. For U.S. transactions, your bank uses the router and your account number. For international transactions, it's a swift code plus your account number. You just need to ask your bank about their swift code. At least, that's what worked in my case.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
All these confusing codes... Sep 24, 2005

Irina Moore wrote:
Could you please let me know what info you give to clients in Europe when they ask for Banking info? Any help is appreciated.

Irina, take a look at this brief and interesting discussion we had in the TR forum:
http://www.proz.com/post/220237#220237

Maria

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:37
English to French
+ ...
BIC and SWIFT Sep 24, 2005

Hi Irina

Actually BIC and SWIFT are one and the same

I had to ask my own bank recently, and the wire department gave me the SWIFT code, that's who you need to speak to. The tellers are usually clueless.

Sarah

IrinaGM
United States
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Sep 27, 2005

I called my bank and they still could not tell me the swift code, everyone I talked to kept saying that US banks only need routing numbers and account numbers for transfering money... oh such a headache!

-Irina

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:37
English to German
+ ...
Not every US bank has a SWIFT code Sep 27, 2005

Hi Irina,
I called my bank and they still could not tell me the swift code, everyone I talked to kept saying that US banks only need routing numbers and account numbers for transfering money...

That's true within the US, but certainly not in international money transfers. The question is whether your bank is connected to the SWIFT network - not all US banks are. There is an online directory on the SWIFT website - you can check if you find your bank, but you shouldn't use any code found there unless you're certain this is the right one, and it is shown as active in the directory.

Best regards,
Ralf

Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Hello Sarah May 31, 2006

sarahl wrote:

Hi Irina

Actually BIC and SWIFT are one and the same

I had to ask my own bank recently, and the wire department gave me the SWIFT code, that's who you need to speak to. The tellers are usually clueless.

Sarah

Even though it's been a while since you posted this, may I ask you what bank you're using, as I am desperately trying to find a bank with an IBAN/SWIFT/ANYTHING that I can give my clients to send international wires?

dstgirl
dstgirl
Local time: 06:37
i ban number Feb 23, 2011

I need to find out what my banks IBAN number is to have money send to me from Germany... my bank only gave me the swift code and said it was the same as the IBAN number... it did not work!!!! How can I find out what the IBAN is?

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
IBAN Feb 24, 2011

Actually, you have to explain to your client that the SWIFT CODE and the routing number are sufficient for them to send a wire.

When clients request an IBAN or branch code, I explain that it is not necessary, at least in the case of the bank I use.

Some banks have two or more routing numbers, including one they prefer for receiving international wires. One safe option is to go to your local branch and confirm this with a representative.

Elena Woontner (X)
Elena Woontner (X)
United States
Local time: 05:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Paypal preferred Feb 1, 2013

Less charges and fees - I always state that when people try to pay me through banks. Plus, you don't have to go crazy finding out IBAN, SWIFT etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question for those of you with US Bank Accounts

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »