Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:48
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2005

Hi all,

I've made a forum search first, but to no avail. In fact, I have to check with you first whether I understand 'internal repetitions' correctly: I assume that it means exact matches within the same file. Is this so? And should I charge the same as I do for exact matches for them, or should I consider a different ratio?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Özden

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:48
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Repetitions Sep 26, 2005

From Trados Help:

The first occurrence of a segment with no match in translation memory is interpreted as a no match; the second occurrence of the same segment is counted as a repetition. A repetition is different from a 100% match in so far as it is defined in relation to an identical no match segment: once the corresponding no match segment has been translated, the new translation is applied automatically to successive instances – repetitions – of the segment in the same tr
... See more
From Trados Help:

The first occurrence of a segment with no match in translation memory is interpreted as a no match; the second occurrence of the same segment is counted as a repetition. A repetition is different from a 100% match in so far as it is defined in relation to an identical no match segment: once the corresponding no match segment has been translated, the new translation is applied automatically to successive instances – repetitions – of the segment in the same translation project.

The rate is up to you. If you want to give discount, you can charge the same rate as for 100% matches (for example, your proofreading rate), because repetitions become 100% matches after translating the first unknown (no match) occurrence.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
A repetition in the source is not necessary one in the target Sep 26, 2005

A notorious example is German. Mostly one cannot say, if a short segment contains the verb as infinitive or as imperative.
"Daten einlesen" should be translated as "the reading of data" or "read the data".
Only the context shows, which alternative is right. But CAT-tools assume, that once you have choosen one, you should do so also at the next occurence of the segment.
So better not give repetitions for free.
One customer agreed to pay half the word rate for all repetio
... See more
A notorious example is German. Mostly one cannot say, if a short segment contains the verb as infinitive or as imperative.
"Daten einlesen" should be translated as "the reading of data" or "read the data".
Only the context shows, which alternative is right. But CAT-tools assume, that once you have choosen one, you should do so also at the next occurence of the segment.
So better not give repetitions for free.
One customer agreed to pay half the word rate for all repetions, regardless of the matching percentage.
REgards
Heinrich
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for internal repetitions?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »