Setting up a translation team
Thread poster: Joanna Drzewieniecki

Joanna Drzewieniecki  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:02
Spanish to English
Sep 27, 2005

Hi. A friend and I are considering working as a translation team. We plan to proofread each other's translations and perhaps do some translations together. We are interested in how other translation teams work. For example, if we are paid X dollars for a translation, what percentage should go to the proofreader? Any other advice on the practical aspects of working as team would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know how to find other translators who work in my areas of specialization with whom I could team up once in a while.

Thanks.

Joanna Drzewieniecki

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:02
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
80/20 Sep 27, 2005

I work with a English to Russian translator because my Russian is academic, never having lived there. I pay him 20% of my fee for editing, which "hurts" me psychologically, but I know that I am not making any translation mistakes. It is a nice arrangement and a comfortable one if you look at the long term.

Stephen Rifkind

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree, 80/20 seems good Sep 27, 2005

Joanna Drzewieniecki, Ph.D. wrote:
For example, if we are paid X dollars for a translation, what percentage should go to the proofreader?

My proofreading/editing rate is between 1/3 and 1/5 of my translation rate. So 20/80 would seem like a good split.

Any other advice on the practical aspects of working as team would be greatly appreciated.

I've used several colleagues to check my work. Some of them just did a visual spell-check and basic grammar check, whereas others gave me a good review which was better value for money. Don't be shy to tell your friend "I want you to proofread more closely" if you think that he was being too easy on your translation.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the directory Sep 27, 2005

Hi Joanna,
I would also like to know how to find other translators who work in my areas of specialization with whom I could team up once in a while.

May I suggest the Directory?

Best regards, Ralf

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
personal contact Sep 27, 2005

I work with 2 other translators with a fairly flexible arrangment. our only principle is to try to avoid paying each other less than the slightly above average going rate for agencies in our country of residence (Spain)..it's a relationship based on trust, more than anything as far as the money side goes... we help each other out

the advantages are:

we are not personally or professionally isolated
we have someone to help out when overloaded
we pass on work to someone we trust rather than lose it
we can each always serve our clients even when really busy

Often, financially, it's not a payable proposition (e.g. I always review their work when it's for a client of mine, but this hasn't necessarily been built in to the pricing structure), but it's not about profit-and-loss, it's about team work and all the benefits that provides...

I wouldn't change this relationship for the world, there's a lot of trust and good feelings:-) I prefer this to a more professional but distant kind of realtionship, where all the details down to commissions and rates are worked out... and the relationship is a purely business one.

Sharon Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:02
English to Chinese
Great idea! Sep 28, 2005

I have to give up some projects when I cannot handle the workload. I am working on English to Chinese on technical and finance materials. I would like to find some to cooperate too.

Joanna Drzewieniecki  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:02
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for all your answers! Sep 28, 2005

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and for the useful information.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up a translation team

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs