Mobile menu

Which is the best way to obtain payment?
Thread poster: Costanza T.

Costanza T.
Italy
Local time: 02:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 29, 2005

There are different ways to be paid.
Which is in your opinion the best and also
the safer?Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 19:52
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
PayPal, Checks or Direct Transfers Sep 29, 2005

Hi,

I think that PayPal works best for small amounts. I usually have no problems receiving checks and there are no additional costs involved. The amount that you have to pay for Direct Transfers from the client's bank account to your account depends on each bank. Usually my bank deducts $20 so for large amounts, this also works well.

This also depends on how soon you need the money or if you can wait a few days until the check arrives in your mailbox.

HTH

Patricia

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Payments Sep 29, 2005

It depends on location of your client. Cashing checks in Europe could be quite expensive. Wire transfer within EU is cheap and fast, but wire transfer from USA, for example, can be quite expensive and US agencies tend to impose all the banking charges (including theirs) on the freelancer.

Payment systems, such as PayPal or Moneybookers, are good for small or overseas payments. (PayPal cannot be used in the new EU countries, but it doesn't concern you.)

Costanza T.
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about IMO? Sep 30, 2005

Thank you both for your advices!!!
Another and the last question!What about the international
money order (IMO)? Do you think it can be good?
I live in Italy and a lot of people use it (for exemple hotels)to obtain money in a safe way.
I await your opinion, thank you in advace!!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-30 06:36]

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Don't leave large amounts on Paypal or Moneybookers accounts Sep 30, 2005

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc. wrote:
I think that PayPal works best for small amounts.

Moneybookers works nicely, too; and their charges are lower.

However, note that such accounts are less trustworthy than normal bank accounts are (AFAIK). For instance, should the companies go bust, any money you have on their accounts may go bust, too. So you should always see to it that you withdraw your money as soon as possible.

P.

[Edited at 2005-09-30 08:16]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
IMO Sep 30, 2005

I am not sure, I never used it. I don't think it's a standard way for businesses.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which is the best way to obtain payment?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs