Credit worthiness of customers
Thread poster: Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein

Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:35
English to German
+ ...
Oct 3, 2005

It happened for the fourth time. I did a translation, my customer went bankrupt - €350,-- lost. I also lost a lot of money with agencies. How can I check credit worthiness of customers, especially with regard to rush orders? I think there are quite a lot of people who can relate the same story.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the Blue Board and other sources of reference Oct 3, 2005

Hi Gabriella,
As you found out the hard way, doing business with unknown customers means lending them money. Have you checked the ProZ.com Blue Board and/or other sources of references before accepting work? This doesn't automatically protect you against losses, but at least you won't fall for outsourcers with known problems.

Giuliana Buscaglione and I gave a presentation on the risks involved at the ProZ.com Conference in Oxford last November; the summary is available here.

Best regards,
Ralf

PS There have been numerous threads on this issue; search the forum for "avoid non payment".

Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Payment in advance Oct 4, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Gabriella,
As you found out the hard way, doing business with unknown customers means lending them money. Have you checked the ProZ.com Blue Board and/or other sources of references before accepting work? This doesn't automatically protect you against losses, but at least you won't fall for outsourcers with known problems.

Giuliana Buscaglione and I gave a presentation on the risks involved at the ProZ.com Conference in Oxford last November; the summary is available here.

Best regards,
Ralf

P.S. There have been numerous threads on this issue; search the forum for "avoid non payment".
My experience tell me that is better to ask for a payment in advance (al least 30%) when necessary.

Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Oct 4, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Gabriella,

Best regards,
Ralf

PS There have been numerous threads on this issue; search the forum for "avoid non payment".

Hi Ralf
Thanks for your quick answer. The two agencies that went bankrupt were not proz.com outsourcers. I had worked for both for a couple of years and suddenly no more payment arrived. The hardest stroke came last summer when I worked for a publisher. Translation was German-French, I did it as a have a French colleague for proofreading. Now the owners are gone leaving a huge amount of debts. And the translation was difficult, especially with regard to menus. Can you imagine a suitable translation for "Zwiebel küsst Tomate"???. I will sure start asking for a payment in advance with unknown customers.

Best regards
Gabriella

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
This won't get you far... Oct 4, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

If you actually do that, you get just three hits, all from this very thread, including your suggestion to search this way. (Now I wrote this reply, citing you, you'll probably get four hits).

P.

[Edited at 2005-10-04 08:11]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't search for the phrase Oct 4, 2005

Hi Peter,
Looks like you searched for the exact phrase "avoid non payment" - try to use these words as search criteria in Search for all of these words.

Sorry, should have made that clear.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Credit worthiness of customers

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs