Mobile menu

Great professionals: There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip
Thread poster: Chiara_M

Chiara_M  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
French to Italian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2005

Last summer I quoted for a job posted here on Proz. I got and did the job. Some days later when I had already sent my invoice, the agency wrote me and asked for a short additional translation. I did that job too and sent another invoice. Nothing unusual. After 45 days (the agreed payment terms) I got a bank transfer covering only the second small invoice. So I wrote a short message through which I confirmed the receipt of the bank transfer and I asked for some news about the other payment. I was answered that it depended on a messy situation (relocation from a country to another) but the situation would soon be settled. After some weeks I hadn’t received the second bank transfer and I wrote again. No reply. I wrote several times and I never had a reply. So I decided to rate that agency on the Blue Board and I reported the whole story to a moderator. Two days later I had a reply by the agency owner. It was the message that she had written to Proz, I suppose. The core was, more or less, that she has to care about other stuff so she doesn’t care about the money she owes me. The problem is that this person claims to be a great professional with a great reputation. Now, I’m in contact with other translators in the same situation (they’re four) – they worked for her, they weren’t paid and she never replied to their remainders. It shows that she’s not a great professional. As to her reputation, she built it up asking people to rate her agency after finishing their jobs – when I delivered my first translation she asked me to rate her agency on the BB and I answered that I certainly would, but not before getting paid because this is a basic point when I “judge” an agency. And, as some colleagues told me, she had asked them to make that “unorthodox” step, too. I’m grateful to the moderator who contacted that person but I’m not quite hopeful about a positive (for me and the other involved translators) issue. But her words are even offensive, as she wrote: “Since you have already taken action against me without verifying anything on my side, and considering I had an excellent reputation to date I frankly do not see a reason to justify this to you personally and I am sure this incident has been to your utmost pleasure” and “Any threats will serve no purpose”. What I can’t bare is not working for free (the due money is not much and it’s not worth to contact and debt collection agency for that – so I can kiss that money goodbye) but this rude and arrogant attitude.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs moderator Oct 19, 2005

Hi Chiara,
Thanks for not identifying the outsourcer in question.

A few issues to clarify:

- There's nothing wrong about asking a translator to post a BB entry after completion of an assignment. Personally, I would probably wait until completion of the second or third job, but that's a personal view.

- Entries to which an outsourcer has responded cannot be entered or removed, unless both consent to having the entry/response pair removed. That is unless non-payment is involved, in which case you should contact a Jobs/BB moderator.

- Anyone who received an aggressive response, or against whom an outsourcer exercised pressure to get a BB entry made, changed, or deleted, should contact Giuliana or myself.

Thanks, and best regards,

Chiara_M  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Ralf Oct 19, 2005

Hi Ralf,
I had already contacted a Moderator (and I think I'm the only one because tha outsourcer has been contacted in her turn). But I think a Moderator can't do more than that...

As to the BB, I didn't rated this agency when I was asked to (I don't want to express a judgment about this practice) because I'm used to do that only when I'm sure (or at least almost sure - which means more experience with a single outsourcer), so I'm not interested in changing my LWA - but some colleagues probably would.

My post was useless, maybe. But I'm really angry for that and I simply wanted to unburden myself.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
How strong is a reputation? Oct 19, 2005

Hi Chiara

Thanks for letting us know that such things happen.

I see nothing wrong in the fact that that lady asks her satisfied service providers to rate her (if they're satisfied), anyway, nothing can oblige them.
But she should know that things that go up can also go down, and usually they go down quicker.

It's funny because the arguments she gives remind me of a person with whom I've never worked but of whom I've heard a similar story too. And I'll keep far from her.

There are many BB entries with lots of good comments for two years ago that start to be not so good later. Now that the BB shows the average for the last 12 months it is more obvious.

I wouldn't lose hope and would only tell that woman that it's more difficult buildin a reputation than destrying it.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Professional in what? Oct 20, 2005

That's the question here, she seems rather professional to me in some kind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Great professionals: There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs