Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2002

Does anyone out there use ink refills whereby rather than spending a fortune on cartridges, you get a package that includes a syringe and bottles of ink?

What do you think? Is it worth it? is there any catch? Is it legal? ETC ETC

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 00:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have at look at Myinks.com Jul 17, 2002

You should consider having a look at:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/myinks/

Very useful and you\'ll save a lot if you make outprints regularly.
[addsig]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
German to English
+ ...
No, but I used refurbished cartridges Jul 17, 2002

that cost about 1/2 of what the new ones cost. I have an HP printer. These cartridges work fine. And various public institutions around town here (USA) put out free envelopes you can use to send the used ones back to be recycled.

One company I would avoid, though, is \"InkOut\". They have bad service and once you are on their e-mail list, they won\'t take you off. I have complained to them and to their list distributor to no avail, and finally filed a complaint with the Fed
... See more
that cost about 1/2 of what the new ones cost. I have an HP printer. These cartridges work fine. And various public institutions around town here (USA) put out free envelopes you can use to send the used ones back to be recycled.

One company I would avoid, though, is \"InkOut\". They have bad service and once you are on their e-mail list, they won\'t take you off. I have complained to them and to their list distributor to no avail, and finally filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I\'m sure I\'ll hear from them when H*** freezes over! Meanwhile I\'ll still be getting those stupid e-mails...
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:17
German to English
+ ...
Was not worthwhile for me Jul 19, 2002

I have my fourth inkjet printer now, but I stick to the original cartridges, even if they are expensive.

The filling process itself can become quite messy, even if you use the tools correctly. My desk looked sometimes like a rainbow.

Then I had frequently major problems to get the ink to flow, messed up several pages of the (then) expensive inkjet paper. It was very timeconsuming.

I also had problems with more frequent clogging of t
... See more
I have my fourth inkjet printer now, but I stick to the original cartridges, even if they are expensive.

The filling process itself can become quite messy, even if you use the tools correctly. My desk looked sometimes like a rainbow.

Then I had frequently major problems to get the ink to flow, messed up several pages of the (then) expensive inkjet paper. It was very timeconsuming.

I also had problems with more frequent clogging of the nozzles, which required multiple cleaning runs, which costs ink and time. And usually the printer failed at the wrong moment....

Last not least, if your printer is still in the warranty period, your warranty may become VOID, if you do not use original cartridges!!

The reason is that the real money for the makers is in the cartdriges. The printers novadays became so cheap that they can hardly make money, but if you have bought the printer, they have got you.

Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
German to English
+ ...
Refilled once too often or my luck ran out! Jul 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 19:44, SIULACH wrote:

Does anyone out there use ink refills whereby rather than spending a fortune on cartridges, you get a package that includes a syringe and bottles of ink?

I have refilled ink cartridges routinely for more than 2 years. However, last month it happened: My Le... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-09 19:44, SIULACH wrote:

I have refilled ink cartridges routinely for more than 2 years. However, last month it happened: My Lexmark printer disappeared in a fume of smoke (no kidding!). I could not get it unplugged fast enough, nearly had a heart attack!

I guess some caution is in order.

Good luck! ▲ Collapse

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 02:17
Arabic to English
+ ...
I've been Refilling for 3 years with no major problems Aug 2, 2002

Just heat a metal nail or pin slightly larger than the syringe and pierce a hole at the top or the top of one of the sides of the cartiridge. Make sure that it is not immediately above the jets. Normally the compartment above the jets id for the ink after it has been filtered (or some effect like that). Use normal pen ink fromink bottles. It\'s the same ink, using ispropyl alcohol which is the same solvent used in the original cartridges. Ink is ink. When the ink starts to overflow, pull back sl... See more
Just heat a metal nail or pin slightly larger than the syringe and pierce a hole at the top or the top of one of the sides of the cartiridge. Make sure that it is not immediately above the jets. Normally the compartment above the jets id for the ink after it has been filtered (or some effect like that). Use normal pen ink fromink bottles. It\'s the same ink, using ispropyl alcohol which is the same solvent used in the original cartridges. Ink is ink. When the ink starts to overflow, pull back slightly on the syringe to suck that back into the cartridge. Remove the syringe. Light a candle and let a drop of wax land on to the hole that you punctured. ou are ready to reuse your cartridge and you won\'t have to buy those expensive do-it-yoursef refill sets again. The nail you require is most likely supplied with your first or previous refill set. If you\'ve never purchased a refill set, just buy a syringe and use any nail or pin. Once refilled and resealed with the wax, you may have to lay the cartridge aside for up to 15 minutes to get some ink drop out to build up the vacuum needed inside the cartridge. Don\'t let those first few drops drop into your printer, though there is normally some blotter to receive them, just under where the cartridge fits in the printer.

I\'ve had 3 printers in the past 4 years. The first one was messed up due to my scraping away at the electrical receptacle where the cartridge fits in, thinking that some jets were not working because of poor electrical contact. Actually it must have been that some of the holes had clogged up. Try to fill up before the cartridge becomes fully empty. That way you avoid any ink clog ups. I don\'t know exactly why I can\'t do this forever, but normally I can refill a cartridge about 4-8 times. Probaly what I called a \"filter\" gets clogged up with some of the ink\'s impurities.

I\'m not sure about the mechanics of how the cartridge works (regarding \"vacuum\" and \"filter\", but I think it is something in those lines. anyway it works.

My second inkjet printer was the same trademark, taking the same cartridges. I avoided playing about with its insides for whole year, but for some reason it just stopped working. Searching in the local market for a new printer, I couldn\'t find one which tok the same cartridges. Angry at the idea of every couple of years changing their cartridges and cartridge holder, I purchased another trademark where the jets are part of the cartridge holder and not the cartridge. I think this will solve my clogged up filter problem. The cartridge is very small and may need more frequent refilling, but at least I won\'t buy from those previous manufacturers for that trick of changing outer cartridge design and discountinuing models. One might buy two printers of the same model and keep an inventory of cartridges, but I din\'t like that trick and hence have changed the trade mark after wrting to them with no reply.

For occasional bad printout quality once your cartridge starts to clog up, as translators, I think most of our work nowadays is done by email so you don\'t really have to worry about the printing quality if you are just usingprintouts to proofread for yourself. ou can keep a decent cartridge aside for client printouts.

I don\'t know the systemof the cartridge of my new printer yet, but I\'ve purchased two spare cartridges and will break the present one once it\'s empty to find out where to puncture a hole.

If printer manufacturers stopped playing their games, I wouldn\'t bother to do this. Anyway with refill kits and do-it-yourselvers like me, they\'ll have to find a way to satisfy us cheaper soon. In the meantime, I\'ll continue using just a pin, syringe and normall fountain pen ink. I\'m using Pelican. I tried another trademark once, but it didn\'t work, so I remained using Pelikan, but I think it wasn\'t the inks fault, but that the cartridge had finally clogged up.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ink Refills - saving on printing costs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »