BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2002

Dear all,

At the risk of being cibernetically stoned to death once again, I would like to propose a suggestion to the ProZ staff for job posters.

Since we all agree that rates vary not only due to the volume of text, technical difficulty and turnaround time (which SHOULD be the only criteria affecting the price of translations), but also due to the outsourcer\'s COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, I propose that a rate limit be set for the different countries.
... See more
Dear all,

At the risk of being cibernetically stoned to death once again, I would like to propose a suggestion to the ProZ staff for job posters.

Since we all agree that rates vary not only due to the volume of text, technical difficulty and turnaround time (which SHOULD be the only criteria affecting the price of translations), but also due to the outsourcer\'s COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, I propose that a rate limit be set for the different countries.

I do not believe anyone in the U.S. should be allowed to offer translation work for U.S.$0.04., therefore clearly taking advantage of the translators residing in poorer countries.

If a person wishes to take a job for U.S.$0.02 per word then ProZ should notify that person by email, but the job should not be listed for public bidding. This will not only give those translators who need to accept those jobs an opportunity to do so, but it will also send a clear message to the posters that their rates are not competitive.

Best Regards,

Belkis
Collapse

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2005)
German to English
I take exception to floors or ceilings Jul 12, 2002

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I was born and raised (and still live) in the USA. I do not know.

However, I do know that I find it repugnant that people, especially here on ProZ, feel it is their mission in life to save thousands of impoverished translators from themselves by PREVENTING outsourcers from offering work at a specific price. Yes, these poor translators do not know the simple facts of economic life and must be rescued from bidding on low-paying jobs, by
... See more
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I was born and raised (and still live) in the USA. I do not know.

However, I do know that I find it repugnant that people, especially here on ProZ, feel it is their mission in life to save thousands of impoverished translators from themselves by PREVENTING outsourcers from offering work at a specific price. Yes, these poor translators do not know the simple facts of economic life and must be rescued from bidding on low-paying jobs, by force, if necessary.

This has been discussed at length here on ProZ and I have yet to hear a cogent argument that would change my mind. \"Clearly taking advantage of translators residing in poorer countries\" does not strike me as a reasonable argument. Given the choice of buying a widget \'made in the USA\' and one made, say, in China, I would be willing to bet that most people will look at the PRICE long before they look at the country of origin. Should we bar Chinese widgets because China is a \'poorer country?\' I believe that has already been tried in the past (Can you say \'protectionism?\' I knew you could.). It would (and DOES) cause consternation if used again today.

Why is it always the USA, the \"Land of the free,\" that people expect to step up and restrict the freedom of people?

I believe that translators are selling a product for which THEY set their price. The outsources are asking for bids on jobs that they have. If the expectations on each side do not overlap, the job does not get done. If the expectations do meet, the job gets done. I do not see the need for \"Big Brother\" tactics in this interaction.

So much for my thoughts on price floors.
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To jccantrel Jul 15, 2002

My suggestion was not only for translators who live in less developed countries, but for all translators, and it was just that, a suggestion. I\'m not on a mission to do anything.

Why you feel the need to attack me based on this suggestion is beyond me, it only proves what I stated in another forum, we need a little more kindness and MUCH LESS CRITICISM around here.

Have a nice day!

Belkis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New rates suggestion - geographical consideration

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »